A recent Dish VIP 922 review

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Boy they really make the 922 sound like a must have, don't they? The only problem is still no compatibility with google integration and no hd media extender to make it do hd in two rooms watching two different things at the same time. Now enable those two features and I might recommend the 922. Till then save your money people. Remember there is still a monthly $4.00 sling fee on this baby. Add to the google integration fee of $4.00 , if they enable it, and you are paying $8.00 more to use it. Then if they enable the hd media extender for use , I am sure there will be another $4.00Tv2 hd fee for being able to use it in another room. That is probably the plan all along. You end up paying an extra $12.00 monthly to use sling+google+sling extender for tv 2.

I've been playing with it most of the afternoon. It's a really nice receiver. The user interface is so much nicer than the standard DVRs and it's very fast and responsive.

The Sling is a bit disappointing though - the stream is only 300kbps, when I have a 3Mbps upload speed. For some reason, I can't get the search to work either. I'll have to read the manual and see what I'm doing wrong - but I tried typing '30' hoping to find '30 Rock' episodes, but nothing came up. Also tried 'Rock' and got nothing.

They did like it. It is a cool box and it IS getting better with each update. I do think that by the time they get the software just right, they will put out a new box that is faster that runs the same software, but adds Google to the box. Maybe they will call it the 922G.

I don't get it. I paid $50 to upgrade from. 522 to a 922. I don't see a $4 sling fee on my bill. There is still some issues, but I can't complain.

You are paying an all exclusive $10.00 dvr fee with the 922 that includes the following: $6.00 dvr fee + $4.00 sling fee=$10.00. All other dvrs have a $6.00 dvr fee.

yorto said:
I don't get it. I paid $50 to upgrade from. 522 to a 922. I don't see a $4 sling fee on my bill. There is still some issues, but I can't complain.

Wow, how did you manage that from a 522 to a 922 for $50? Did that include the 1000.2/1000.4 dish and installation too? Or did you already have HD on another receiver and just upgrade the 522 to a 922?

I've been playing with it most of the afternoon. It's a really nice receiver. The user interface is so much nicer than the standard DVRs and it's very fast and responsive.

The Sling is a bit disappointing though - the stream is only 300kbps, when I have a 3Mbps upload speed. For some reason, I can't get the search to work either. I'll have to read the manual and see what I'm doing wrong - but I tried typing '30' hoping to find '30 Rock' episodes, but nothing came up. Also tried 'Rock' and got nothing.

The 922 needs a day to sit and bake before all the features like search and channel logos get working. Try it again this morning and see if the search works. AFAIK, there's no way to force this receiver to download that information.

bobvick said:
Wow, how did you manage that from a 522 to a 922 for $50? Did that include the 1000.2/1000.4 dish and installation too? Or did you already have HD on another receiver and just upgrade the 522 to a 922?

My neighbor works for Dish. He said he can get me a 922 for $50 installed. I kept my 522 for the other rooms. They installed a new HD dish. They apparently "washed" the remaining $150 as a "customer complaint." It pays to know people and do computer work for them.

They activated the 922. I do not see the sling fee. Ive gone through my bill twice and don't see it. I was told that the paperwork was "taken care of."

The 922 needs a day to sit and bake before all the features like search and channel logos get working. Try it again this morning and see if the search works. AFAIK, there's no way to force this receiver to download that information.

You were exactly right. Everything is fully functional. Some of the graphics for shows on my EHD are still missing, but things seem to be filling in, and the search is great on this receiver.

Very very pleased. I'm concerned about some getting it for $50 - Dish charged me $400 PLUS a two year agreement! Did I get screwed? Should I call and complain about this?

Very very pleased. I'm concerned about some getting it for $50 - Dish charged me $400 PLUS a two year agreement! Did I get screwed? Should I call and complain about this?

It depended on the status of your account. If you were in the middle of a contract or not. I can't remember exactly, but back when it was finally released. Some people could get it for $200 and some $400 with a two year commitment. $50- if you read his post, is not something DISH offers their customers. He knew a "guy"... that's how he got it for $50.

I got mine for $200.00 and no extension of my commitment. How I managed it I don't know so I guess I got an ok deal.

DustoMan said:
It depended on the status of your account. If you were in the middle of a contract or not. I can't remember exactly, but back when it was finally released. Some people could get it for $200 and some $400 with a two year commitment. $50- if you read his post, is not something DISH offers their customers. He knew a "guy"... that's how he got it for $50.

I had upgraded to the 722k in the summer of '09 for something cheap + 2 years. Maybe it was just too soon.

But no regrets. Still really enjoying the 922.

My 922 was just installed today. It replaced a 622. At installation, it took over an hour for the software to update. We had access to TV Everywhere within 2 hours. No problems once it was setup. The UI on the unit is slick. Great graphics! My laptop received an excellent HD picture throughout the house via remote web access. I ordered the MT2 module for OTA locals. It seems like it will install easily.

I hope it really is as good as it seems. So far it gets an A+.

Remember it is normal for your 922 to act flakey for its first 48 hours or so of life. If something is not working correctly now try it again later. :D

My 922 was just installed today. It replaced a 622. At installation, it took over an hour for the software to update. We had access to TV Everywhere within 2 hours. No problems once it was setup. The UI on the unit is slick. Great graphics! My laptop received an excellent HD picture throughout the house via remote web access. I ordered the MT2 module for OTA locals. It seems like it will install easily.

I hope it really is as good as it seems. So far it gets an A+.

Day No. 11 with VIP 922 and 6 days after MT2 module installed. No problems! It also recognized Toshiba external 1 TB drive. Had laptop on DISH remote access for several hours in the kitchen while holiday cooking. No problems. HD not as good as directly watching on TV but quite adequate. Steady picture with Verizon FIOS internet. Plenty of bandwidth. I love being able to watch wherever I am in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)