A silly newbie question

kchnew

Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
1st time satellite subscriber since last Sunday. I have a 722 in a small living room. After I turned off the power, it seems still operating by generating the heat and the noise. Can I pull out the power plug? Does Dish Network require the receiver be powered on or standby all the time? My concern is that since they require the phone connection, it may imply you have to be at least in standby mode all the time. Big thanks!

You can unplug it, if the noise bothers you. It will suck electricity when it's plugged in and turned off. But don't leave it unplugged for more than a week, or it may deactivate itself. Also, you'll want it plugged in if you have shows scheduled to record.

I promise you, once you get used to the DVR, you won't watch live TV anymore. Except for sports and the news, why watch commercials! Welcome to Dish!

My friend, please DON'T unplug the 722, EVER. It will lead to problems. The box is designed to be in standby: plugged-in and working while you are not watching TV. The heat is a consequence of the electronics and the hard-disk. I had a good friend recently become a Dish subscriber and she had the same concerns as you. Once she understood what was going on and that it was best to just LEAVE it alone, she was fine with it. It does not bother her in the least, now. Considering it is in the living room, I would hope that it does not interfere with your sleeping. Those who have those units in bedrooms do have some counter measures.

i would think the noise would be soothing. there are people that pay money for noise boxes that make a hissing sound to sleep with...

My friend, please DON'T unplug the 722, EVER. It will lead to problems. The box is designed to be in standby: plugged-in and working while you are not watching TV. The heat is a consequence of the electronics and the hard-disk. I had a good friend recently become a Dish subscriber and she had the same concerns as you. Once she understood what was going on and that it was best to just LEAVE it alone, she was fine with it. It does not bother her in the least, now. Considering it is in the living room, I would hope that it does not interfere with your sleeping. Those who have those units in bedrooms do have some counter measures.

I strongly agree, do NOT unplug your DVR. don't sweat the fact that it is still "on". typically, the unit will go into low-power mode, unless it is recording a show, downloading updates or doing other forms of system maintenance. Besides, unplugging it would make it mostly useless as a DVR.