I want to go back to Dish but

VaDavid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
i need internet service. I can't get DSL, i have comcast now and want to get rid of them the only thing that is stopping me is i need a internet connection. I use Vonage as well.

Any suggestions? Only thing i can think of is wildblue. is 1.5Mbs the fastest you can get with a satellite?

i need internet service. I can't get DSL, i have comcast now and want to get rid of them the only thing that is stopping me is i need a internet connection. I use Vonage as well.

Any suggestions? Only thing i can think of is wildblue. is 1.5Mbs the fastest you can get with a satellite?

I'd only recommend considering satellite broadband if it's the only option available. It is extremely expensive and the draconian "fair access policy" can cause your download speeds to be reduced to dial-up levels if you do a moderate about of a downloading of large files.

Can you keep Comcast internet and get Dish for your TV?

It can be done - you need to make sure the installer knows what exactly you have in mind. You would set it up so the line from Comcast goes only to the cable modem and the line from Dish goes to the rest of your house.

I have that kind of setup myself.

I have cableco internet-only service and Dish. No DSL where I'm at. One day, if I live long enough, I may have Fios offered.

Whatever Cable is charging...PAY IT. Wildblue is absolutely horrible. Along with the FAP, their upload speeds are less than 1/2 of the advertised speeds at all times of the day. Also, from 7pm-12am you experience prime time slowdown, which makes the cable internet slowdown look tame. I get 10-30% of my advertised download speed at night and alot of failed loading on web pages...stay away from this service.

A lot of national companies offer DSL or Cable Internet...AT&T, Qwest, Sprint (Embarq), etc. You don't necessarily need to go through your local cable company. DSL might be somewhat less reliable when compared to cable, but from what I've seen it's significantly cheaper and faster than WildBlue.

Dish claims that they can give you DSL over your phone line.
I have never checked it out but here is the url DISH Network -- High Speed Internet -- DSL

Hmm there should be a Telco that you can get DSL from what state are you in.

The problem usually is that you have to be within a certain distance from a CO to get DSL. It used to be 12000 feet, but I think they have upgraded that about 18000 feet now. Personally I have comcast for internet and they are charging me $43 a month for just that. Not a bad deal since most DSL ends up around $50 a month after you get past all the promotional periods.

I kept my internet and phone (for now) thru the cable company. THe only difference is I don't get a $10 discount for having all 3 thru them. With the price difference of my cable I had and DISH, it is worth it.

The problem usually is that you have to be within a certain distance from a CO to get DSL. It used to be 12000 feet, but I think they have upgraded that about 18000 feet now. Personally I have comcast for internet and they are charging me $43 a month for just that. Not a bad deal since most DSL ends up around $50 a month after you get past all the promotional periods.

I have Embarq DSL and it runs 24.99/month for as long as you have the service, but you need local phone service through them to get it, and both local phone service and DSL by Embarq sucks. The maximum speed at my house is 568K due to the distance from the closest distribution point. If I could get cable internet, I would switch in a heartbeat.

I found portable broadband so i will give that a try.

No DSL here only comcast has servive where i live.

I kept my comcast HSI and the cheap LIMITED basic package when I signed up for the HD Absolute package. One, it's the same price with or without the limited basic being added to your bill. Two, with no Harribsurg HD LiL; this way I can still get HD locals (and that is all of em including CW and PBS) via the QAM tuner in the TV. Just can't send those channels to the 722. :(

Can you DIG deeper here?

I kept my comcast HSI and the cheap LIMITED basic package when I signed up for the HD Absolute package. One, it's the same price with or without the limited basic being added to your bill.

Are you saying that Comcast HSI is the same price as Comcast HSI with Limited Basic?? If that is true I need to change may level of service TODAY!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts