a snow qeustion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
its snowing here all my channels are out including my SD channels, but why is mine local HD channels fine? thanks

Its because your locals are on a spot beam. The beam is more powerful in a conentrated (smaller) local market area. Yes you can loose national programming and still get local programming through the sats because the spot beams are "hotter" than what directv's normal beams provide as they are delivering less power as they are not as concentrated due to the increased coverage area. Typically in a snow storm you could loose programming due to the precipitation blocking line of sight from the satellite to the antenna. When the local spot beam coming from the bird has more power, it can punch through the precipitation easyer than the other transponders can. That's why you can loose programming, yet the locals are fine.

and if that dish is correctly aimed / peaked; then you shouldn't be losing your signals unless you are have one hell of a blizzard event.

Its because your locals are on a spot beam. The beam is more powerful in a conentrated (smaller) local market area. Yes you can loose national programming and still get local programming through the sats because the spot beams are "hotter" than what directv's normal beams provide as they are delivering less power as they are not as concentrated due to the increased coverage area. Typically in a snow storm you could loose programming due to the precipitation blocking line of sight from the satellite to the antenna. When the local spot beam coming from the bird has more power, it can punch through the precipitation easyer than the other transponders can. That's why you can loose programming, yet the locals are fine.
thanks

lacubs,
Can you get to your dish ?
Is there a lot of Ice and snow on it ?

IF so, go out and clean it off and see if that fixes your trouble.

The heavy wet snows are the ones that will tend to knock it out, otherwise a typical snow won't bother it.

Been snowing here most of the day and my signals are fine.

lacubs,
Can you get to your dish ?
Is there a lot of Ice and snow on it ?

IF so, go out and clean it off and see if that fixes your trouble.

The heavy wet snows are the ones that will tend to knock it out, otherwise a typical snow won't bother it.

Been snowing here most of the day and my signals are fine.

Jimbo,

Had to go brush my dish off this evening during Louisville vs NC state bowl game. Dang wet snow !

lacubs, Can you get to your dish ? Is there a lot of Ice and snow on it ? IF so, go out and clean it off and see if that fixes your trouble. The heavy wet snows are the ones that will tend to knock it out, otherwise a typical snow won't bother it. Been snowing here most of the day and my signals are fine.
no i can't get to it, i know it wet snow but, i was shock to see my SD are down as well

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts