A thread to rant about "HD-Lite"

Sorry but I disagree with whomever is moving the thread out of the Dish Network forum. This is a direct response to Dish Network about their HD Lite channels and it does not belong General CableTV & Satellite Forum. Let's stop this nonsense in trying to hide the truth. I thought the forum was open for critism as well. We might as well give up and become a Dish Network sponsor forum and become like the other site where negative critism is not allowed. This is the whole reason I opened this thread so that the information, rant and frustration about HD lite stays in this thread.

you titled it "The Two Satellite Companies..."

so if your focus is only on dish, you didn't title it correctly

anyways it doesnt really matter there's nothing important in this thread...

Did you read my first post? It does not matter whether the title applies to both but my first post should give you a point to whom I am referring to. You really think that there is nothing important in this thread because you are a dish apologist and yet do not feel that we should post in the dish network forum domain. What a bunch of crap BFG? I thought you knew better than to act like this. This is crap....

Two Satguys Staff members fight while Scott is out of town?

Come on, we can all agree that HD Lite is bad and we want Full HD on all channels.

HD Lite is too close to DVD quality.

======chart=========
True 1080i 1920x1080i: 1920x540x60 = 62,208,000 pixels/sec
720p 1280x720p: 1280x720x60 = 55,296,000 pixels/sec
HD-Lite 1280x1080i: 1280x540x60 = 41,472,000 pixels/sec
DVD 720x480i: 720x240x60 = 10,368,000 pixels/sec

True 1080i: 6X DVD quality
720p: 5.33X DVD quality
HD-Lite: 4X DVD quality

These days any talks about HD Lite on the DirecTv or Dish Network forum is offensive to the apologists. Let's hail the great Dish Network for their HD LITE. Let's promote it maybe this way the apologists will be happy with us. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ScottChez said:
Two Satguys Staff members fight while Scott is out of town?

Come on, we can all agree that HD Lite is bad and we want Full HD on all channels.

HD Lite is too close to DVD quality.

======chart=========
True 1080i 1920x1080i: 1920x540x60 = 62,208,000 pixels/sec
720p 1280x720p: 1280x720x60 = 55,296,000 pixels/sec
HD-Lite 1280x1080i: 1280x540x60 = 41,472,000 pixels/sec
DVD 720x480i: 720x240x60 = 10,368,000 pixels/sec

True 1080i: 6X DVD quality
720p: 5.33X DVD quality
HD-Lite: 4X DVD quality

Whether Scott is here or not this is just not right. Just because is Team Summit time and Dish Network Moderators do not want to see negative information about Dish Network HD Lite. C'mmon you need to be more mature than this and take the heat. When I was the Voom moderator, I did not moved threads because they were negative or try to censore anyone unless the person became obnoxious. As far as I see the thread did not do that to warrant a move to a dead forum.

BFG said:
you titled it "The Two Satellite Companies..."

so if your focus is only on dish, you didn't title it correctly

anyways it doesnt really matter there's nothing important in this thread...

The "didn't title it correctly" is a little "nit-pickin" but at least credible.

The "nothing important" remark however seems WAY out of line to me Bryan.

Tom Bombadil said:
I can buy that the MPEG4 decoders are not there yet to do 1920x1080i.

I dont buy it for one simple reason...the crap should never have left engineering (MPEG4, 622s, 211s...anything remotely associated with MPEG4) until it was know to be working properly, and we should all have been watching MPEG2 with 942s UNTIL it was ready for real use to the subscriber base.

Instead they got greedy, forced the 211/622 for new HD channels in quasi-MPEG4, while we wait for them to make any of it work right.

I'm all for new channels, but the whole state of HD is ridiculious right now. :rolleyes:

Sean Mota said:
Whether Scott is here or not this is just not right. Just because is Team Summit time and Dish Network Moderators do not want to see negative information about Dish Network HD Lite. C'mmon you need to be more mature than this and take the heat. When I was the Voom moderator, I did not moved threads because they were negative or try to censore anyone unless the person became obnoxious. As far as I see the thread did not do that to warrant a move to a dead forum.

Those were the good old days Sean! I sure miss all the VOOM stuff and their great PQ even more!

Honestly Sean its tv and nothing more, theres a reason why its called an idiot tube and if your going to let it push you to arguements over what is honestly not the end of the world then its title is fitting.

Staff members are put in place for more than one reason and I would asume that it is not only for their knowledge but their profesionalism on the board though we all know goalie didnt get in for his spelling :p

Its tv plain and simple and for some is an expensive hobby but what ever you do dont let it get you all worked up.

Given all the back and forth blame with VOOM Light and Fluffy, I bet both Echostar and VOOM are both to blame. I bet that Echostar decided to cut back on the bandwidth VOOM could use. I bet Echostar told VOOM this is the amount of bandwidth you will get, you decide what to do with it. They probably both agreed to 15 channels to help with the problem. Then VOOM probably made the decision to lower the resolution to help the encoders get an acceptable picture.

Note they are right most people cannot yet tell the difference between 1440x1080i or 1280x1080i right now, but people would surely notice excessive pixelation and picture break up, even on lower resolution sets.

One just has to hope that decent MPEG-4 encoders are developed that can squeeze the full 1920x1080i into the bandwidth that E* has allocated and that E* would not decide to lower the bandwidth more in the future.

VOOM did not need to lower the resolution to help the encoders/decoders, because the VOOM channels are being transmitted in MPEG2 and there is no problem with MPEG2 and using the full 1920x1080i resolution.

Thus it cannot have gone down in the way you describe.

Tom Bombadil said:
They were 1440x1080i from VOOM. I believe they were getting decent bitrates, up around 15MB/s.

Then 5 of them were upgraded to glorious 1920x1080i by Dish, with high bitrates. Only to later be downgraded across the board to 1280x1080i. And there they have stayed.

They did not upgrade 5. And the choices for the 4 they did were more than questionable.

mlb said:
Until you can prove that MPEG-4 @ 1920x1080i is encoded without problems I'm not sure you can have that argument. It very well could be (and I believe 99.9% the reason) that the encoders and algorithms just are not good enough to do the full 1920x1080i resolution on the fly (they instead have all kinds of errors during bandwidth intensive scenes). 1440x1080i in MPEG-4 may just look better given the current limitations.

If you wanted to argue getting rid of MPEG-4 all together (switch all to MPEG-2) I might be able to buy your argument, but to say that they can do MPEG-4 now and they are just being cheap about it is totally off base, IMHO. In the end, the technology is still in its infancy, but the only way to improve it is to have some real world applications running so that they can have constant feed back to their changes, such as the handful of MPEG-4 channels they have on the air right now.

You've missed the entire point mlb.

MPEG4 was put on to save bandwidth - IE, 15 Mbps MPEG2, 7Mbps MPEG4.

HBO only transmits 14.2Mbps on its CBand Distribution in MPEG2.

But Dish has decided that they can give STARZHD 15Mbps and must down res it to 1280x1080i AS WELL AS MAKE IT MPEG4.

Its stupid to run a MPEG4 at 15Mbps. Always has been. If you need 15Mbps for MPEG 4, no reason to even implement it.

It's insult to injury.

Last edited:
ChetK said:
Nah, I sure don't miss receiver reboots on a daily basis and accounting errors. :D

Get a Vip211 or 622 and live on the east coast so 129W can give you an error and lock up every few hours.

Nfl Hd

Murdoch: Gov't Would Approve DirecTV/Echostar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)