A thread to rant about "HD-Lite"

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
***Rant****

What a bunch full of crap Dish Network is ? Fist saying that no-one can distinguish between HD Lite (1280x1080i) and true HD (1920x1080i). Second, saying that there is no true 1920x1080i sets out. Third, lying about Voom not being able to deliver HD channels at 1920x1080i.

I am just freaking mad about this non-sense and the lies...

Sean Mota said:
***Rant****

What a bunch full of crap Dish Network is ? Fist saying that no-one can distinguish between HD Lite (1280x1080i) and true HD (1920x1080i). Second, saying that there is no true 1920x1080i sets out. Third, lying about Voom not being able to deliver HD channels at 1920x1080i.

Geesh Sean........and I thought I was bad. Whatever you friggen do, don't post this in any of the "Summit" threads.:devil:

If they do feed in full 1080i or output full 1080i, they probably will overcompress it so even though it is no longer HD-Lite by the output parameters, it will just be compressed to hell.

No reason to have HD Lite channels with MPEG-4 compression. I believe that they have the ability to do it right, they are just refusing to do it.

"I am just freaking mad about this non-sense and the lies..."

Sean Mota said:
***Rant****

I agree! All the more reason to rename the VOOM HD Programming Forum to the VOOM HD-Lite Programming Forum and post the change on the SatelliteGuys main page...right next to Team Summit news and information.:up

waltinvt said:
Geesh Sean........and I thought I was bad. Whatever you friggen do, don't post this in any of the "Summit" threads.:devil:

Already have :D and I was getting ignored :D so I decided to create my own thread :devil:

Current HD Lite Channels:

DirecTv:

HBO HD Lite
Showtime HD Lite
HDnet Lite
HDnet Movies Lite
Discovery HD Lite
TNT HD Lite
All 94-98 channels where they show the Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Inning and NBA LP and other sport events.

Dish Network

Voom HD Lite
Starz HD Lite
CBS HD Lite
NBC HD Lite
NFL HD Lite

Any more?

Sean Mota said:
Already have :D and I was getting ignored :D so I decided to create my own thread :devil:

I hear ya. I'm not sure which is worse, getting ignored or being chastised by newbies:D

Sean Mota said:
No reason to have HD Lite channels with MPEG-4 compression. I believe that they have the ability to do it right, they are just refusing to do it.

I don't doubt it. About a year ago I read an article from Microsoft talking about how much computing power it took to encode HD into MPEG-4. I'm shocked that D* and E* were able to get hardware to do 1440x1080i on the fly encoding.

E* would not have put the MPEG-2 channels at 1920x1080i resolution if they weren't planning on getting the MPEG-4 channels to that resolution eventually, as MPEG-2 takes a lot more room than MPEG-4 channels.

Sean Mota said:
***Rant****

This is the main reason I have cable for most of my HD. I only have Dish for the Voom channels, but I'm getting fed up with the POS 811 and might just throw it out in the trash where it belongs one of these days. Meanwhile the HD DVR I rent from the cable company for $6 a month works flawlessly.

Who do you have, techweb? Time Warner in Dayton, Ohio recently caused 93,000 HD and SD DVRs to crash due to their software update. They had to push the software out 3 times in order to finally fix most of the issues. Then TWC's data center crashed their 1 AS/400 server, causing their whole billing and ordering system to be down for approximately 3 days. Although I get very good quality on my HD channels, I think their service is piss poor. I just haven't switched yet due to the $300 price tag just to lease the 622 from dish.

You'd better enjoy the true HD channels you get now, because I think they will all be gone in a matter of months.

Just like to get high quaity SD, you have to buy DVDs (and have to be careful here too), I think the same will be true for HD.

The providers will feed us HD Lite, as it will be far more than good enough for John Q. Public. Do you think even as much as 5% of the viewing public would even notice a program being in HD Lite?

I'm not one to usually defend E*. What resolution and bit rate were Voom channels when they were on the Voom satellite service?

They were 1440x1080i from VOOM. I believe they were getting decent bitrates, up around 15MB/s.

Then 5 of them were upgraded to glorious 1920x1080i by Dish, with high bitrates. Only to later be downgraded across the board to 1280x1080i. And there they have stayed.

I just sent this as a question to the Charlie Chat.....

=================================================
Hi.. I am so happy that Dish is showing the VOOM programming. It perturbs me that you are showing them in HD-Lite. At 1280x1024 instead of the native 1920x1024.

I have asked this before and was told VOOM is sending them to you at the lower resolution. But, a letter to Voom states that they are sending at 1920x1024 and Dish is down-rezzing them.

Knowing how picky MP4 encoders are these days, it is understandable to downrezz until the 'kinks' are worked out.

But, what is the real truth here? Does Dish downrezz to hd-lite or is Voom sending a hd-lite picture to dish?
==================================================

Last edited:
I just saw the local cable's hd picture and it had hum bars on all the channels and was not as sharp as what I get on dish.
I have never seen a cable system that has as good a picture as dish. If you love cable pay for it but if you really want the best that is presently available get or keep dish or just go back to sd and live with it.

dude2 said:
I just saw the local cable's hd picture and it had hum bars on all the channels and was not as sharp as what I get on dish.
I have never seen a cable system that has as good a picture as dish. If you love cable pay for it but if you really want the best that is presently available get or keep dish or just go back to sd and live with it.

Sorry, this is the bitch about HD-Lite thread, the "Dish Cheerleader" and "I Love Mediocre HD" threads are next door. J/K ;)

NightRyder

Nfl Hd

Murdoch: Gov't Would Approve DirecTV/Echostar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)