GEOSATpro A TimeStamp quibble

rzg00

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
California
A minor quibble:-
My timezone is GMT-8 (Pacific) and I set up a timed recording to start at 9.59 last night.
The recording is just fine except the filesystem's (NFS) timestamps show the recoding starting at 1.59 yesterday afternoon. If it weren't for the international date line, I'd think that the receiver thought it was somewhere in China:) The directory's timestamp shows the same time.

This is using the latest non-beta firmware, though I have seen it on previous releases.

OK, did a quick recording test, disconnected the USB and connected to the PC and see that the timestamp on the file creation is minus 11 hours. Never had checked this before as it is not referenced by the receiver and never looked at the time if playing back on a computer.

Will look into setting the file timestamp to match the user selected time. Since this does not affect the DVR timers, time display, recording or playback on the microHD, it will be assigned a low priority on the development list.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

After duplicating the reported timestamp issue on my home system, we tried to document it on the test bench at the shop. Could not replicate the issue on 10 recordings with sources from several satellites. The time was stamped correctly on every recording. I happened to swap drives and suddenely every recording had the wrong timestamp. The FAT32 formatted drive had correct local timestamps and the NTFS drive had incorrect local time timestamps. :confused:

Turned to the "All Knowing" Google and the answer was instantly found! FAT32 files are timestamped with the local time. NTFS files are timestamped with UTC (GMT). Since the PC is not provided with the timezone reference for the offset where the file was created, it simply displays the time reference that is imbedded in the file, GMT.

The fix is simple: If you wish to have the local time stamped on DVR recordings for viewing on a computer or other media device, format the USB drive as FAT32. :D

AWWKK !! ??? Does using FAT32 corrupt (allow to be corrupted) files on a half / two thirds full drive the way it did on the 1100c? Or is it not a problem on the micro?

My work around -- really fix -- is to record on USB thumb drives and then copy/move to the Hard Drive -- No file corruption that way, yet anyway, so I guess it will not matter, really.

Edit:: is this the file name timestamp? or the time date "dos / MS" file timestamp that seems to be random to me anyway! ? That one seems to vasilate between original and copy/modifyed time, but the file name does not change. If the file name does not change, then I would not have noticed, as I sort by filename anyway.

Last edited:
You only need to remember that if you DVR record onto a NTFS formatted drive the file creation timestamp and the file modified timestamp associated with the file will be displayed on any computer as UTC/GMT time, not the local time.

This timestamp on NTFS formatted drives does not affect the playback of files on the microHD or on a computer. NTFS formatted drive users will see UTC/GMT time displayed on their computer file system instead of the local time zone time.

If local time zone timestamps are important to you, select FAT32 format.

Each file system has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Choose the one that best fits your wishes and needs.

p.s. rv1pop, the microHD is related to the DVR1100 in brand name only (and both are satellite receivers...) :cool: Different chipset and different firmware. Test FAT32 format drive DVR recording on the microHD and let us know how it works for you in a new thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts