A5 instead of A4 on Sat set up page DRS 315 (Star Choice)

Williamlg

Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Los Angeles
I have recently tried to set up my 315 receiver with my new 75cm dish. I had this receiver running in San Diego about 2 years ago on a 60cm dish and then it suddenly had no signal. I put it off to the bad wind storm. In any case I was unable to re-align it at the time and gave up out of frustration. I am now re energized as I want some french tv for my in-laws who speak no english. I am however not getting the A4 sat info on the set up page when I try and tune in Sat Anik F1 111.1 Instead I have A5 and I am unable to get this system up and running. Does anyone know how to change the A5 back to A4 as I have been instructed to have to set up the dish. In the mean time I have ordered a new 317 box and also got the name of a Starchoice guru in LA. Any advice would help.

Without Trailer Park Boys in LA.

since the box is already preauthorzed select channel 299
press options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic c...that will have a number in the corner that will say +5.0, -3.0 etc

slowly move the dish until that number starts moving...the higher the + number, the better the signal

+5.0 is good
+7.5 is great

Also AnikF1 is at 107.3, F2 is at 111.1

I'm worried with the dish size as F2 was replaced recently and signal reception has dropped on the fringe area

Thanks, I will try this and get back to you. I am interested more in the french and the Canadian content. I have HD on my main system. Ill get back to you and let you know.

Well I went to the Dig C page for channel 299. It is at -1.0. I also looked at channel 284 Dig c and got the same thing. In any case this box was pre authorized but that account is not longer active. Do I still use channel 299? What is the tune in Sat page all about and why is my box stuck on A5? has this got something to do with the new sat system with SC? In any case I was told I may(?) have a bad receiver and I have ordered a 317. I have also been instructed that I need to tune in F2 and the dish then automatically will have F1 as well due to the 80% scew. I have been struggling with this for some time trying to get some Canadian content for my in-laws. I will call back my dude with the big ladder and try again. I assume using the DB meter from the Diagnostic page is a better indication of true signal strength than the tune in sat page. Thanks agin for your help.

since it was in the stream (was subbed already) use 299
if you do a factory reset (options 6-7-7-8 down to master reset) then use 284. If you go this route, once it finds the satellite for 30 seconds, 284 will be gone and only 299 works

-1.0 means you're not on the satellite

Do you also have any recommendations for an installer in the Los Angeles area that is actually knowledgeable about installs? Maybe a Pub Member?

Also, I was verifying my look angles. I was correct with both the look angle and the AZ, both true and Magnetic. My instructions for the 75E dish was a skew of 80 deg. On this site it says -10.6R for the LNB skew. Again I need to be educated. Does setting the dish at the 80 deg on the back scale of the dish equal the required -10.6R that this site requires? If 90 Degrees is strait and you turn it 10.6 degrees right then the result would be 79.4 degrees. This is very close to the 80 degrees recommended by my provider. Am I in the right ballpark? I am using the Dual LNB for SC that is supposed to pick up both F1 and F2 is the dish has correct skew and is aimed at F2. This is what I understand anyway. Sorry for the multitude of questions however I am just learning.

William

Use your old receiver for finding the satellite. It's going to be rather
difficult to find things with a virgin receiver---until after you have found
the satellite with your model 315.

299 is no longer in the clear, so use ch 354 for alignment of F1R.
If the receiver has previously been mapped and authorized,
try 712 for alignment of F2, as it should also be in the clear.

Once you have confirmed pictures on both channels, you can feel free
to connect the new DSR-317. Let it map on channel 299---it should
be able to also get a picture on 354 after 2 or 3 minutes of mapping,
provided you initially started with a green light on 299. All mapping of
F2 channels will have to wait until you get the activation hit from SC---
which should provide subscription signals from F1R, and simultaneously
add the mapping for F2 channels---and authorize the ones that you are
subscribing to there.

For more technical info, go to the CANADIAN SOLUTION section of the Global
website at www.global-cm.net

Thanks for the info, however I have done the reset procedure previously mentioned. Does this change anything? My ladder will arrive this evening and I might attempt to do the alignment tonight. If not soon this week. I also would like to know, should I use the align sat page or the dig C page with the true DB meter, I.e. the -3.0 to +7.5 etc.

I belive the A4/A5 is not something you can change from the box....it has to do with the pointing of your dish....My experience, using a generic dish & 315 (for the French channels only), and mistakenly being pointed first at F1R, and then correcting to it to F2, is that you will see A4 no matter which one you are pointed at. That confused me when I was going through all this, but that seems to be the way it is. If you are seeing A5, perhaps you are looking a neither F1R nor F2.......as Iceberg pointed out above..."you are not on the satellite...". Also refer to Mike Kohl's site (above in thread) for the pointing data. Certain other sites appear to give incorrect information, but I believe Mike's has been proven to be correct.

Probably a dumb question...but I presume you are already authorized to one of the French packages.....?

This box was authorized for french when it was up 2 years ago. The account is now shut off and I have opened my own account with SC. The A5 is now gone and it is blank, after I did master reset. My second attempt at aiming the dish will be with a sat finder as well as the information I have so far received from this site. I feel confident I will get somewhere this time. The only issue I have with Mikes info was the skew information. The provider says 80 Deg and his site says -10.6R. I have not had this question answered as yet. His information above was a little confusing. My box was previously authorized, and that account is now closed, and I now have my own account. I have done a master reset on my box. I am a little confused as to what channel to map to now. I think 284 will work. He said that mapping of all F2 channels will have to wait but I have instructions with new LNB to set up F2 and F1 will automatically be fine due to new tech and design in 75e dish and LNB from SC. Maybe I misunderstand the term "Mapping". Not sure, and as previously stated, still learning.

since you are in LA, when you skew the dish you go off of 90 so looking at Mike's site it shows 80 for skew. So skew the dish to 80.

284 will work as long as the master rest was done.

Well I was able on 284 after the master reset, to get a signal meter reading of 65 on A4 SAT. I also checked on the DIG C page and I have a +8.0. This is good as I understand it. I now assume I have both F2 and F1 set up. I am still a little unclear on the Channel Mapping I see discussed on the site. What is mapping?

DRR315 75E dish SC

if you have a +8.0 it should work.

channel mapping basically means it puts the channels in their right spot (transponder wise). Also there are 2 different ways the channels can map depending on what type of LNB you have. Since you have the quad dish that is UNSTACKED.

Since you cleared the memory, all mapping of channels on F2 has been
erased. You will not be able to check any F2 reception until AFTER the authorization signals have been re-sent to the receiver by Star Choice,
and may still have to call for a manual re-map at that time. Hopefully you
have the antenna aligned well enough so that F2 comes in. This is what
happens when you do a Master Reset without being armed with proper test equipment. Good luck!

I was still able to see the open channels on F1 and F2 until the authorization came through and all is working well. I have good DB levels on all channels and no reception issues on any channel I have seen so far. I know I am using both F1 and F2 and there is no real difference as far as channel quality on either one. I am very pleased. I watched Trailer park boys last night and Canadian news this morning. A little piece of home. Thanks for all the info I received as I am certain that I would not have been able to set it up without the advice. Not many people around here really understand the sat systems they install. The people on this forum certainly do. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)