Aaaaaargh: 622 Nuked 9 Months of shows

azcbnel

Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I realize it may be bad timing to ask this the night before the SuperBowl, but things happen when they do.

I also presume the answer to my question below is probably "no" but it can't hurt to ask. Is there any way to undelete programs deleted in error from a Dish DVR ViP 622?

My principal "ouch" is about how even if you "protect" a program it only puts it lower in the "overwrite" que. It does NOT protect from having it wiped if some command appears to sieze the space. Which I had to learn the hard way.

My overall story is an even bigger ouch. After losing the feed intermittently (for whatever reason) it gave me 30 instances of Friday's Bill Maher in 2 minute increments. Rather than delete each instance separately, I tried the "group" command thinking it would show ONLY the group with the same title, after which it would be safe to "select all" and then "delete."

Wrong-O. Big time!

Beneath that clump of 30 Bill Maher slices, there was the REST of my entire DVR menu, including several "protected" items which <silly me> I thought would never be wiped without a second command that permitted it to do so. Turns out instead, when I said "delete all" I was doing so literally, without nary an "are you sure?" screen to make me think twice before wiping the WHOLE hd. Now I have NOTHING left.

When things get this nuts, there is no choice except to accept and learn from it, unless you are willing to slit your wrists, which I am not over 9 months of saved and tagged TV shows. However, the incurable optimist in me still wants to think there might be a way to recover the deleted content before all of it is overwritten.
Am I hoping in vain?

ouch... linux ... no undelete .. when you say "I want this gone" it takes you quite literally and away it goes.

It has happened to the best of us.

I did a manual timer once, but screwed up with the stop time; set it to go for almost 24 hours.... poof.... everything I had was gone. :)

That is why I take no chances, as soon as my program is recorded and I know its a keeper, it goes straight to the external drive.

I just did the same thing tonight. I had 15 episodes of this crappy Pocket Money show recorded and managed to delete EVERYTHING in an attempt to delete all episodes of Pocket Money. . . . in my case it's a VIP722 and it was just about full.... I don't even know what I lost....

I don't think it should be even possible to delete all content that easy. I have a ton of experience with Replay TV DVRs and there is no way to do this on the Replay. If it could record in HD I would keep my Replay TV DVRs forever!

I thought I'd be more ticked about this, but I find it pretty funny, I just wish I know exactly what I lost.

sigh.... at least it's a long weekend coming up!

:)

There's posts about this a lot. Dish needs to get off their asses and fix this. Who can we all email?

When mine have started doing the 30x of something, I normally have a bad hard drive. I've had to return the DVR 4 times now (722).

You can go into the diagnostics screen somewhere and see the HD errors. I think it is value 4, but don't rememeber exactly at the moment.

Protecting the recording isn't enough, it means nothing unless you also lock the receiver. The original poster would have been asked for a password before the recordings were actually deleted if the receiver was locked. It's a very nice insurance policy for those times when we all do something without thinking and then go, "Oh, crap, what did I just do."

I did a manual timer once, but screwed up with the stop time; set it to go for almost 24 hours.... poof.... everything I had was gone. :)

Again, protect all of your recordings/timers and lock the system. If you do and an in progress recording doesn't have enough free space, it will prompt you when there's 20 minutes left on the drive that there's not enough space and that you should delete some of your old recordings. If you ignore it or you're not around to see the prompt, it will stop the in progress recording automatically when there's 5 minutes of free space left on the drive and all of your (protected) recordings will be intact. I know because it happens to me 2 or 3 times a week - I've got a lot of old crap to watch. :river

It would be nice to have an undelete. But, if the receiver deletes shows to record new ones the old shows would be completely overwritten and no way to get it back. TiVos have a nice feature where a deleted show goes into a file folder and they stay there until space needed, then they are deleted for reuse.

Just learned the same lesson tonight almost 30 hrs on a 622 gone like that.

I grouped the programs and selected check all hoping to delete all of just one show. :(

My sympathies to the OP. My 622 lost its hard drive right after a power failure with some shows dating back two years. (Yeah, I had a lot of stuff on EHD's but one movie from Kung Fu HD is gone and won't be available again any time soon.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)