? about hws & internet connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
I finally got this accomplished...........but now I have a question

I have 2 hws. The great room unit is connected to a wireless joeys via the dish wireless access, bridging is enabled. The 2nd is in the bedroom. Apparently the great room unit is too far away from the wireless modem/router unit. I could only get a signal strength of around 27 - 30. The indicator would turn green & then back to red. The bedroom unit was able to show a signal of around 65. Both of the hws & the wireless joey are able to access the apps...........so I am assuming that everything is ok. Is this a safe assumption?

Well, I thought everything was ok...............but it's not

When I went to "test" the internet connection on the wireless joey, I got a message saying I needed an internet connection to access the weather channel app. I then tried the hws that the wireless joey is tied too & got the same message. I then tried the hws that has the wireless internet connection & it worked. How do I get the internet connection to the 2nd hws & the wireless joey? I thought with bridging enabled, that I would be able to access the internet from all of them, but not the case. What's the next step?

Do you have bridging enabled only on the HWS that has the wireless connection? It should be the only one enabled.

Do you have bridging enabled only on the HWS that has the wireless connection? It should be the only one enabled.

No, I have bridging enabled on the hws that it connected to the wireless joey. Will changing the unit that has bridging enabled, still allow the wireless joey to access the recordings of both hws?

well, I switched the bridging & now my wireless joey does not see the recordings of the bedroom hws...............the internet works
so now I have switched one issue for the other

How is your WAP installed? Ethernet to the hopper?

yes

called Dish support & they told me to enable bridging on both hws.........which worked, but I thought this created a problem.

Dish also told me that the proper way was to set up the wireless internet on both hws

How would I get rid of the wireless internet connection that I have?

so who or what is the correct way? :helpsign

A HIC is a Hopper Internet Connector, that feeds Internet via moca. If you have a hic, there is no need for bridging, and I'm sure you would not need to bridge for the WJ either. Best part is, if what I have heard in the pat is correct, you can install a WAP directly into a HIC and that way it's possible to have it sitting directly between both hoppers. But, that would be your best bet with the trouble you have described.

I understand what you are saying, but I can't belive that I am the only person that has 2 hoppers, wireless joey & internet to each.

What are the problems caused by bridging enabled on both hws & internet to both?

Chad is correct about the HIC. I had a good installer. All my cat5 and satellite wiring are centrally located and it was easy for him to install. Up until a few software upgrades ago, I could not enable bridging, it would default back to un bridged. Bottom line, I don't need bridging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts