ACC games blacked out on ESPN

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I know I'm a few days late posting on this subject. But can someone tell me why the ACC semi-finals games last Saturday(3-15) were blacked out in my area on ESPN? I live in East Tennessee, SEC country, and I was not able to watch the North Carolina game or the Clemson/Duke game.

I know in times past, that if the game was also shown on my local Fox Sports channel, that it would be blacked out on ESPN. But I scanned the entire guide and also checked all of the ESPN alternate channels. There was nothing. It was also blacked out for my friends and family that have DirecTV, but my local cable company (Charter) carried both games. Does anyone know why??

I am not sure about your area, but here in NC it is blacked out because Raycom Sports has exclusive broadcast rights for the ACC in our area. Prior to this year, it used to really tick me off because Raycom broadcast only in SD while ESPN and ESPN2 broadcast the same games in HD. Fortunately for the most part, Raycom had HD broadcasts this season.

I had read an article that ncaa website and cbs website were offering streaming online free for all the games if you get stuck.

I know I'm a few days late posting on this subject. But can someone tell me why the ACC semi-finals games last Saturday(3-15) were blacked out in my area on ESPN? I live in East Tennessee, SEC country, and I was not able to watch the North Carolina game or the Clemson/Duke game.

I know in times past, that if the game was also shown on my local Fox Sports channel, that it would be blacked out on ESPN. But I scanned the entire guide and also checked all of the ESPN alternate channels. There was nothing. It was also blacked out for my friends and family that have DirecTV, but my local cable company (Charter) carried both games. Does anyone know why??

Trust me.. blacked out is usually higher quality than the Raycom broadcasts :) How are you getting this "upgrade" for free??? :)

(Raycom appears to have barely, but finally, discovered HD this year (for a very few games)

I was expecting ESPN to be blacked out for me during the tourney since it was on a local channel here (horrible PQ) but it was not so I watched in glorious high definition. I think they just screwed up. Some people were blacked out when they shouldn't be and some like me got to watch when it should have been blacked out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)