Access VIP622 through 1 port HomePlug from outside my home network

afarlow

Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
texas
I was wondering if anybody had experience with accessing DVR using a 2wire router/modem. I recently purchased a 1 Port HomePlug Home Adapter. When I am in my network I can access DVR fine, but when I leave my network I can not access. I get HTTP 403 Forbidden. I have tried opening up ports 80 and 443 and that did not work. From there I allowed DMZ access to attempt to get it to work. I am being tossed back and forth from ATT and Dish network. Please let me know if anyone has an idea. I am using a VIP622 DVR with 1 Port HomePlug ethernet adapter. Anyone have any ideas?

I have a 2Wire set up with a home network that includes two flavors of home plug, wired and wireless networks. It all works fine. Have you tried entering the MAC adress in the 2Wire utility?

What exactly do you mean when you are out of the network? Normally, you would not have access to a device on a network if you are not on the network. It's part of the network security. I assume that you are using the 2Wire encryption option.

I am using the 2wire wireless router. I plugged the HomePlug into it and it is sending a wireless signal to my DVR. It says that I am connected and I can browse movies to watch. What I mean by network in my home. When I am at other locations it does not let me have access.

I no longer have a 2-wire router (when mine went bad, the ATT service man would only sell me a router without WPA), but two different third party routers from Best Buy (with WFA) work fine on ATT DSL with Dish Remote through a Sling Home Plug. Hope this helps.

Jim

If you try to access the unit while not on the network it will not work. For example, If you are on the network, bring up a browser and type 192.168.0.1, it will give you the 2Wire utility/status page. This is due to the fact that you are on your network. 192.168.0.1 is the default for all 2Wire units. What seperates your network from any other is the encryption. Trying to "see" your dvr outside of the network cannot be done. This is basic network security at work. Most normal people cannot hack networks because they do not have the expertise. If you want to view your DVR from any PC, sign up for Dish online to access your DVR from outside your network.

Hope this helps.....

FYI, Homeplug uses your electrical wiring to carry the signal. It is not wireless. If you go into the 2Wire utility/status screen, it will identify wired and wireless connections that are active. Homeplug will be in the wireless group.

I have COX not ATT but Cox blocks port 80 (http) to homes. The ISP is concerned that you might be running a commerciial web server in your house.

You need to do a port address translation at your router to get around such nonsence. you enter your routers exterenal address and the with a non blocked port to get around this kind of thing. Like http //10.0.1.1 9090 if 10.0.1.1 was you external address and 9090 was the address you translate in the router back to port 80.

I do this with a bunch of webcams that all run webservers in my house.

the above http should not have spaces between "p" and '/" and 10.0.1.1 should be followed by a colon then 9090.

Last edited:

Dish equipment replacement

Strange-No ss on locals Sat/TP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)