Accidentally deleted all shows on hard drive. RESTORE??

johnwadams

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
Arkansas
I hit the wrong button and deleted all the shows on my hard drive.
They still appear to be there under HISTORY and each shows as LOCKED.
Is there any way to restore these recordings on a VIP 722 ?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it takes a lot more than one errant button press to delete all the shows on a hard drive.

Are you sure you didn't move them to a folder, external drive or otherwise hide them?

I thought i had only selected 3 episodes of Unforgettable to be deleted, but apparently I did a SELECT ALL, but nothing else got highlighted, and then I hit DELETE. After about 20 seconds the "deleting" message disappeared and the list of recorded shows was empty.

What software version is on your ViP722 (and be sure to say if it happens to be a ViP722K)?

If you did delete them, they are gone. That means that no amount of pleading, reasoning, griping or re-asking the question is going to get them back.

Looks like another victim of the "edit" button! If they're deleted, there's no way to get them back, unfortunately. No "Recycle Bin." For future reference, if you're using groups, you need to go inside the specific folder and then do an "edit, select all" and delete.

If you do a "select all" from the root menu "edit" screen, then it will select all recordings, just like selecting all on the root directory of a computer will select everything on the partition. Though, to be fair, the "edit" menu is a little deceptive, as the folders don't "look" selected until you expand them.

What software version is on your ViP722 (and be sure to say if it happens to be a ViP722K)?

If you did delete them, they are gone. That means that no amount of pleading, reasoning, griping or re-asking the question is going to get them back.
722K, Software L690. and in reply to another response, i do not use groups or folders)
Thanks.

3HaloODST is SPOT ON. Please follow his instructions. TiVo has an Restore feature that has saved me a least a few times and all the lost recordings in this case could have been restored with TiVo's Restore feature, but not with Dish DVR's.

I wrote an old post about this very far too easy goof to make. Scott had actually done the same thing as the OP.

There should be a sticky about this flaw in design. It the meantime, here is what ANYONE should do to confirm they are NOT about to delete all recordings on the HDD:

1. often, this happens when one can't sell all of the recordings on the screen. So, after selecting recordings to delete, SCROLL DOWN to confirm that ONLY the shows you intend to delete are the ONLY ones marked with EDIT. If you've accidentally selected all your recordings for deletion, you are gonna see recordings marked that shouldn't be. If you are in a folder, than only those shows in the folder that you marked will appear on screen or below as you scroll.

I really do believe Dish should redesign the prompts to EDIT the entire HDD and make it more clear that we are about to erase EVERY recording on the HDD.

I really do believe Dish should redesign the prompts to EDIT the entire HDD and make it more clear that we are about to erase EVERY recording on the HDD.

I would think a simple workaround would be instead of the warning prompt asking "Do you really want to delete these DVR events?" It should ask something like "Do you really want to delete these ___ DVR events? e.g. "Do you really want to delete these 230 DVR events?" "WHAT!?!? No!!!"

Suggestion...if you have ANY recordings you don't want to risk losing then select PROTECT for them. Then if you ever accidentally (or intentionally) attempt to delete recordings by hitting SELECT ALL, you will immediately get a prompt for a password. This is because you've selected one or more protected recordings.

Suggestion...if you have ANY recordings you don't want to risk losing then select PROTECT for them. Then if you ever accidentally (or intentionally) attempt to delete recordings by hitting SELECT ALL, you will immediately get a prompt for a password. This is because you've selected one or more protected recordings.
Only works if you LOCK the receiver.

Only works if you LOCK the receiver.

Correct! He probably had his locked for so long, he thought it was a standard feature.

People should NOT count on the PROTECT recording feature as it only protects the recording from being erased over as a new show is recorded when the HDD us full. It in NO WAY provides any other type of PROTECTION.

I would think a simple workaround would be instead of the warning prompt asking "Do you really want to delete these DVR events?" It should ask something like "Do you really want to delete these ___ DVR events? e.g. "Do you really want to delete these 230 DVR events?" "WHAT!?!? No!!!"

Yes, SOMETHING, like in bold RED letters and a SECOND or THIRD prompt to make it cumbersome to do. Then people would get the heads up and think, "Hey, this aint the usual steps."

As much as Dish DVR's are better, I really do LOVE the Restore feature on the TiVo and had to use it TWO times this WEEK ALONE! Of course, if Dish tried to design such a feature, TiVo would probably SUE.

Yes, SOMETHING, like in bold RED letters and a SECOND or THIRD prompt to make it cumbersome to do. Then people would get the heads up and think, "Hey, this aint the usual steps."

As much as Dish DVR's are better, I really do LOVE the Restore feature on the TiVo and had to use it TWO times this WEEK ALONE! Of course, if Dish tried to design such a feature, TiVo would probably SUE.
Not sure they could on that now. To many other units have similar features, I think.

Tivo runs differertly that Dish DVR. TiVo fills the entire drive shortly after you start it with video similar to what you are alreadt scheduling, then if anything is deleted it is just marked as area of the drive that is recordable. Dish on the other hand actually frees up real disk space when a program is deleted. Your TiVO drive is always full, it just has programs marked as "record-over-able".

Jim5506 said:
Tivo runs differertly that Dish DVR. TiVo fills the entire drive shortly after you start it with video similar to what you are alreadt scheduling, then if anything is deleted it is just marked as area of the drive that is recordable. Dish on the other hand actually frees up real disk space when a program is deleted. Your TiVO drive is always full, it just has programs marked as "record-over-able".

I like how the TiVo lets you undelete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)