account transfer to wife denied

Yes, that is the way it worked when I transferred a DVR from one of my accounts to the other one.

The old recordings were still listed. Or did you mean they would not be playable? I am pretty sure I tested one recording after transferring the receiver, to see if it work. I was setting up the receiver for my sister to watch, and she never complained about not being able to watch any of the old recordings, either.

There is such a thing as a 221k? I didn't know that existed. :confused:
You do know that the 2 key is right next to the 1 key don't you! ;)

Yes, that is the way it worked when I transferred a DVR from one of my accounts to the other one.

The old recordings were still listed. Or did you mean they would not be playable? I am pretty sure I tested one recording after transferring the receiver, to see if it work. I was setting up the receiver for my sister to watch, and she never complained about not being able to watch any of the old recordings, either.

There is such a thing as a 221k? I didn't know that existed. :confused:
It should reformat when transferred. When you say an old receiver, what are we talking?

The arguments against owning equipment are economic. However, for those who are sufficiently affluent, they will pay whatever to have things their way. It is what almost all of us do when we are flush with money. I know wealthy reltives who NEVER return defictive items still under warranty or eligible for refund because they are too busy and find it a hassle and it is easier to just toss the defective device and just buy a new one. It's a lot like when people want our time and energy and some people respond, "can't I just write you a check?" If you have the money, it is far easier to write a check than worry about sound economics. Yes, do things they way you feel comfortable and better about, but it does COST $$ to do that. For the rest of us, we lease because it is LESS money, however much or little.

I've only owned when I've had to as in the past when Dish did not subsidize more than 2 boxes, and later when I paid/owned for the 721, the only way to get that box back then. But today, owning makes no economic sense, and is an affluent option for those who want more control or feel better in their own minds about "owning" something.

Hey, even the rich finance big items with the bank because it is less money OUT for quite some time, and when they sell it, they still have all that money they never had to spend to own it without the bank and suffer far less if the value decreases by the time they do sell it. Huge corporations finance as well. Best to keep the cash. But financing seems un-intuitive by most people, and understandably so.

Reactions: tallfence
The arguments against owning equipment are economic. However, for those who are sufficiently affluent, they will pay whatever to have things their way. It is what almost all of us do when we are flush with money. I know wealthy reltives who NEVER return defictive items still under warranty or eligible for refund because they are too busy and find it a hassle and it is easier to just toss the defective device and just buy a new one. It's a lot like when people want our time and energy and some people respond, "can't I just write you a check?' If you have the money, it is far easier to write a check than worry about sound economics. Yes, do things they way you feel comfortable and better about, but it does COST $$ to do that. For the rest of us, we lease because it is LESS money. I've only owned in the past when Dish did not subsidize more than 2 boxes, and I paid/owned for the 721, they only way to get that box. But today, owning makes no economic sense, and is an affluent option for those who want more control or feel better in their own minds about "owning" something. Hey, even the rich finance big items with the bank because it is less money OUT for quite some time, and when they sell it, they still have all that money they never had to spend to own it without the bank and suffer far less if the value decreases by the time they do sell it. Huge corporations finance as well. Best to keep the cash. But financing seems un-intuitive by most people, and understandably so.

I wouldn't consider myself "affluent" in any way, unless you consider "affluent" a step up from the guy who lives in a van down by the river

I only spent a whole $134 for 2 Wally's. Why sign a contract and/or lease when I can own both, not have to pay tax, and sell them for at least 75% of their value when I'm done? I see absolutely no down side to that. To each their own. You're obviously a supporter of leasing and that's fine, but I don't believe ownership has anything to do with affluence. My parents are strong supporters of home ownership, but I like to lease condos. I'm not any more or less affluent than they are.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I wouldn't consider myself "affluent" in any way, unless you consider "affluent" a step up from the guy who lives in a van down by the river

I only spent a whole $134 for 2 Wally's. Why sign a contract and/or lease when I can own both, not have to pay tax, and sell them for at least 75% of their value when I'm done? I see absolutely no down side to that. To each their own. You're obviously a supporter of leasing and that's fine, but I don't believe ownership has anything to do with affluence. My parents are strong supporters of home ownership, but I like to lease condos. I'm not any more or less affluent than they are.

What kind of van?

Anybody know why when i attempted to transfer my dish account to the wifes name, dish told me that i would need to begin renting their equipment to do this. I refused.
i prefer to own my equipment and not pay rent.
I failed to see the logic in their words.

No problem.

Cancel your account, sign up in the wife's name get all new free equipment and promotional rates again.

Or switch to Directv

You can't say you tried.

The real question is why is it so important for people to "OWN" their own equipment when there is no economic advantage to do so.

Comcast for example I own my own TIvo. Besides the $9.99 I pay to TiVo every month for their service, I do not pay Comcast a DVR fee, HD technology fee, lease fees or additional outlet fees.

I'm glad I own my TiVo and it saves me money.

Dish on the other hand, no fricken way would I ever pay any money to buy their equipment. There is no advantage on the monthly rates.

Your better off getting Dish to give you the latest and greatest for free and give it back to them when your done using it.

It may make sense to buy a Wally or 211 if you can pick it up for $50 which is cheaper sometimes than paying a fee to upgrade or sign a contract you don't intend to keep for 2 years.

If you can get the equipment for free, use their equipment.

Reactions: pattykay
The real question is why is it so important for people to "OWN" their own equipment when there is no economic advantage to do so.

Comcast for example I own my own TIvo. Besides the $9.99 I pay to TiVo every month for their service, I do not pay Comcast a DVR fee, HD technology fee, lease fees or additional outlet fees.

I'm glad I own my TiVo and it saves me money.

Dish on the other hand, no fricken way would I ever pay any money to buy their equipment. There is no advantage on the monthly rates.

Your better off getting Dish to give you the latest and greatest for free and give it back to them when your done using it.

It may make sense to buy a Wally or 211 if you can pick it up for $50 which is cheaper sometimes than paying a fee to upgrade or sign a contract you don't intend to keep for 2 years.

If you can get the equipment for free, use their equipment.

Plenty of reasons. We have given you several.

That is the price to purchase one from Dish. At least, that is the price they quoted me when I asked about buying one.

The more I think about lease vs. own, the more I am convinced that I would like to see Dish offer a compromise option. How about being able to purchase a receiver for a discounted price (50 percent off) if you agree to a one-year contract? (As opposed to paying full price to avoid any contract, or signing a two-year contract to get a free leased receiver.) That would be the best of both worlds, if you were planning to stay with Dish for one year anyway. You would, in effect, be buying out half of the normally required two-year contract by paying for half of the receiver up-front, and at the end of the year you would own the receiver. Since you only paid half-price for the receiver, you would then be much more likely to get your money back when you sell the receiver. You might even be able to make a slight profit. :)

Just be glad you can own your equipment. DTV doesn't even allow that option anymore, correct?

Reactions: pattykay
Just be glad you can own your equipment. DTV doesn't even allow that option anymore, correct?
I still own several old Directv receivers. Of course, they are all obsolete, and can't be used for anything, except perhaps as signal meters to help point an old 18-inch dish at the 101 satellite.

I lease my main receiver and own a couple of secondary ones. The biggest advantage to owning those is I can activate/deactivate when ever I wish. So if I don't need one for the winter (it's in a screened in porch) I can just take it off the account without having to return it. Bring it back out in the spring and reactivate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts