acquired a receiver, want to add it to my setup

flourdude

Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
texas
Hi All,

I acquired a dvr501 (free and clear) and want to put it in a spare room.

My setup is:

625 dual tuner receiver(already hook up to two tvs)
Dish-500 dp plus

I have a single coax line coming in from the dish that goes to a splitter. It also looks like the tech who installed it left me an additional coax line that is hanging from the dish at the moment.

1. Can I hook into the existing coax line coming in or do I have to use the coax line that the tech hanging from the dish? I am really not wanting to run an additional line from the dish so if I can use the existing coax run that goes to the splitter it would be much easier.

Yes the receiver is legal. I called dish and they confirmed this. I thought this would be an easier way to get my question answered.....

Assuming the line hanging out of the dish is connected to your DPP Twin, yes you can connect to it and run a cable to the 501. Your 625 does not have a splitter connected to it that is a "SEPARATOR" even if it looks like a cable splitter. You cannot split satellite lines and have the receivers work except in some very limited cases.

Thank you. Yes the cable is hooked to the dish. I'll do it way which I figured would be the only way but wanted to make sure .

Remember to run RG6 to make sure you get all your sats.

Unnecessary if the cable is in good condition. I have a 211 hooked up to 75 feet of RG-59 in the walls of my house, and another 75 feet of RG-6, and my signal strengths are just as high as on another 211 that has a direct run of about 25 feet of RG-6. Now if this was for a dual-tuner receiver with DPP LNBs, I'd be worried because of the stacked frequencies, but for a single tuner - RG-6 is good insurance, but not mandatory for the receiver to work.

Get this relic 501 added to your account ASAP. Dish will be changing all SD, on the Western Arc, anyway, to 8PSK. This means that in the near future, Dish will replace that old 501 for a later, like model capable of demodulating 8PSK, at no charge. At some point, I expect Dish to no longer activate QPSK SD boxes once this the swap-out is in high gear.

I'd be worried because of the stacked frequencies, but for a single tuner - RG-6 is good insurance, but not mandatory for the receiver to work.
On a DPP LNB it is stacked from the start, using RG59 on a DPP setup will cause something to fail quicker. If you had a DP setup instead there wouldn't be an issue.

DP is stacked at the same frequency as DPP. The difference is that DPP can control what gets stacked.

DP - odd and even from one satellite together on one line
DPP - any odd and/or any even from any 1 or 2 of the connected DP LNBs, band-translated and re-stacked as needed, sent together on one line

thanks for all your help...I ran a new line and tried to get the box activated.

Encountered 2 problems:

1. I called dish before buying this and was told this receiver was free and clear with no balance. Upon trying to activate this I am now told by dish that there is a balance on the acct (it had been disconnected). Needless to say I am unhappy at the CSR for giving me the wrong information. And of course, there was no documentation that I had called. Talking to a supervisor did not do much.

2. Even if there were no problems with the receiver, it has a yellow card in it so apparently I will have to get the new purple card which dish told me would cost $49.

I am already paying Dish good money with my current setup and was looking at a low cost way to put a tv in a spare guest room and not extend my contract by leasing another receiver. Frustrating to say the least.

thanks for all your help...I ran a new line and tried to get the box activated.

Encountered 2 problems:

1. I called dish before buying this and was told this receiver was free and clear with no balance. Upon trying to activate this I am now told by dish that there is a balance on the acct (it had been disconnected). Needless to say I am unhappy at the CSR for giving me the wrong information. And of course, there was no documentation that I had called. Talking to a supervisor did not do much.

2. Even if there were no problems with the receiver, it has a yellow card in it so apparently I will have to get the new purple card which dish told me would cost $49.

I am already paying Dish good money with my current setup and was looking at a low cost way to put a tv in a spare guest room and not extend my contract by leasing another receiver. Frustrating to say the least.

I just went thru this same thing Sat nite. I was told by a Dish CSR that the rcvr i had was clear and ready to go then when i call to activate it i am told it is a leased rcvr and it had to go back. I was upset b/c one CSR told me it was clear.Why does 1 CSR pull up a clear balance but another sees the same numbers and tell you that the rcvr is leased, has a blance owed,etc. I wish there was someone we could go to to get these types of situations resolved b/c if the CSR tells you that the rcvr is clear and then another tells you that it is not, or leased or whatever they should give it to you or at lease send you another one of the same

Flourdude, the cable left hangin from the dish was probably used for aiming. As far as 59 cable, it is not a good choice for incoming sat. signal. Sure it might work for days, months or years, but it will likely fail. As mentioned before, always get the operator I.D. number when they make you promises. They usually identify themselves when they pick up, but will repeat if necessary. Also,it would,nt hurt to ask them to note the account explaining what you've worked out with them. When another CSR sees them, it will help clear you. This also prevents the original CSR from making promises to get you off the line and then not backing them up.

To clarify, the operator I.D. is three letters of the alphabet. If you get POW, you can use my joke and tell him he's never getting out of there!

Get this relic 501 added to your account ASAP. Dish will be changing all SD, on the Western Arc, anyway, to 8PSK. This means that in the near future, Dish will replace that old 501 for a later, like model capable of demodulating 8PSK, at no charge. At some point, I expect Dish to no longer activate QPSK SD boxes once this the swap-out is in high gear.
I have one of these relics, a 508 actually. What does this mean, and how will I be affected? I'm guessing here, but can I assume that Dish no longer wishes to double broadcast HD and SD, and thus the change?

If so, this sounds like a good deal to me. However, if my locals move off 110 and I need a new dish for 61.5, I'm screwed without cutting down a huge tree thats directly in the line of sight.

Won't work

I have one of these relics, a 508 actually. What does this mean, and how will I be affected? I'm guessing here, but can I assume that Dish no longer wishes to double broadcast HD and SD, and thus the change?

If so, this sounds like a good deal to me. However, if my locals move off 110 and I need a new dish for 61.5, I'm screwed without cutting down a huge tree thats directly in the line of sight.

The 508 won't work on very much stuff on 61.5. It's mostly MPEG4 now.

I realize that. That wasn't my question.

Is the plan to take the SD locals off 110? What will the 8SPK receiver do that my old receiver can't?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)