"Acquiring satellite signal"

kdarcangelis870

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
This question might sound dumb, but what is a dish network receiver really doing when it says "acquiring satellite signal". I want to know because I switched one of my neghbors over from directv to dish (for HD) and whenever it rains, he complains to me about the "Acquiring satellite signal" message and how his directv receiver acquired signal instantly when conditions improved. I don't understand why dish network receivers do that. Anyhow, I want to have a decent explanation for him so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like there is water getting into the connections causing excessive signal loss between the LNB/Switch and receiver. The rain fade event shouldn't last any longer on Dish than it does on DirecTV. Also make sure that there is sufficient signal level (80's to 100 or even more) during clear sky. Dish should not lose signal "whenever it rains". It will lose signal as large thunderstom clouds pass overhead or very thick cloud cover. But definitely not "whenever it rains".

BTW to answer the question "acquiring satellite signal" means that there is not enough signal for the receiver to draw a picture and it is looking for more. Basically it is waiting for more signal level.

See ya
Tony

Last edited:
In rain, it would mean a storm cell is between his dish and the satellite up in space, "acquiring satellite signal" is the receivers way of saying "I lost the signal and cannot give you a picture, so I am waiting for it to come back".

This message also could also come up in event of a failure (lnb, multisiwtch, etc), cable breaks, certain receiver failures, or obstruction of line of sight of the dish to satellite, water invasion, corrosion, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts