Activate previously owned equipment?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Dumb question....

I upgraded my Sirius from the old "box" style one to the Starmate. I called and did the swap out. My buddy is thinking of getting Sirius and would just activate my old unit (on his own account).

Can you activate used equipment?

Yes you can. I did it when I bought a used receiver off Ebay.. it actually was still activated so I got some free time out of it :)

Yup the only issue you run into is if you bought it from someone and it ends up being reported stolen, which in this case doesnt sound like it would be an issue.

minorthr said:
Yup the only issue you run into is if you bought it from someone and it ends up being reported stolen, which in this case doesnt sound like it would be an issue.

nah. Bought mine new and I'm giving my buddy my old receiver. DOnt think there will be an issue there :)

Iceberg said:
nah. Bought mine new and I'm giving my buddy my old receiver. DOnt think there will be an issue there :)

You will have to cancel your sub to that specific radio in order for your buddy to activate in his name.

when i cancelled my first sub to sirius, they told me they could waive the activation fee if you put the account on hold and the other person activated. should not be a problem for you since you know they guy. i was selling my old receiver on ebay and did not want to be responsible so i canceled outright. don't know if they are still doing that.

Sirius_Rich said:
You will have to cancel your sub to that specific radio in order for your buddy to activate in his name.

I did a radio swap. Just swapped ESN numbers. The old one doesnt work anymore (I havent tried it yet but the guy said "your old radio wont work anymore")

So the old one should be cancelled, right?

Iceberg said:
I did a radio swap. Just swapped ESN numbers. The old one doesnt work anymore (I havent tried it yet but the guy said "your old radio wont work anymore")

So the old one should be cancelled, right?

Should be.

My wife will be looking for you! After posting back and forth with you during your build I built another and she wasn't happy; until I gave it to her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)