Activating external drive

sidsub

Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Austin, TX
I'm a new Dish customer, and I plugged in and called to activate an external hard drive on my 612. The automated activation system said it was done. My installation->system info screen shows a green light on the "hard drive" feature (I assume that's related to the external drive). However, when I click to manage the drive or to transfer recordings to it, it says I need to call to activate the feature first. Does that mean it really isn't installed, or do I need to do something else for the DVR to recognize the drive?

By the way, the drive is a WD 500GB USB "My DVR Expander" specifically marked for use with Dish DVRs (I probably didn't need to use one that said that but I wanted to be sure). When I plugged it in, it prompted me as a multimedia device, but didn't offer to format the drive.

Thanks for any help anyone here can give me.

I'm a new Dish customer, and I plugged in and called to activate an external hard drive on my 612. The automated activation system said it was done. My installation->system info screen shows a green light on the "hard drive" feature (I assume that's related to the external drive). However, when I click to manage the drive or to transfer recordings to it, it says I need to call to activate the feature first. Does that mean it really isn't installed, or do I need to do something else for the DVR to recognize the drive?

By the way, the drive is a WD 500GB USB "My DVR Expander" specifically marked for use with Dish DVRs (I probably didn't need to use one that said that but I wanted to be sure). When I plugged it in, it prompted me as a multimedia device, but didn't offer to format the drive.

Thanks for any help anyone here can give me.

Probably means the receiver never got the activation signal, chat/call a tech to have it resent to the receiver.

Might have required a reboot after activation. First check your menu-6-3-counters-6 pages down to see if a household key has been set.
-Ken

Thanks, folks. I did call customer service and they were able to do something immediately to get the activation to actually be received by the DVR. I hadn't realized there was another step there, but I'm up and running now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts