Activating old Dishplayer 7200 / 7100's after 7 years away

jaj1701

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Rochester, MN DMA #153
Hello,

I am debating going back to Dish after a 7 year absence or so. Looking at the new fee structure, I think I'm going to eventually end up with 211s with the EHD upgrade.

BUT, in the mean time, so I don't have to spend money on receivers (or on HD), I'd like to re-activate my old 7100 and 7200s (I have 3 of them), plus buy three more. It helps that I really loved the dishplayers and they will be easy for my mom to use too when I let her move in later next month.

Questions:

1. Will E* still activate them?
2. How long can I expect to use them before they force an upgrade?
3. Do these take the newest cards?
4. Will they charge me for new cards?

I assume, based on the new pricing, my bill would look like this with 6 Dishplayers.

AT120+ $44.99 (I haven't decided on this package, just using it as an example)
Reciever 2 $7.00
Reciever 3 $7.00
Reciever 4 $7.00
Reciever 5 $7.00
Reciever 6 $7.00

My bill will look the same with if I did it with all 211 or 211k, except for the one time $39.99 EHD charge per account and the $10 for HD but no DVR fees. I've heard no DVR charge if DVRs on account weren't natively DVRS (211 and 211k) or if they came standard with under 100gb hard drive (Dishplayer 7100 and 7200)

AT120+ $44.99
HD $10.00
Reciever 2 $7.00
Reciever 3 $7.00
Reciever 4 $7.00
Reciever 5 $7.00
Reciever 6 $7.00

Thanks so much for helping me with this. Sorry, I just don't trust DISH reps. I'd like to get buy with the DISHPLAYERs for now and one by one replace them with 211s (or the 222 if they ever release the EHD for it).

Any suggestions or alternatives are welcome as well.

Jason

**** Just FYI......I just replaced the hard drive in one of my old 7200s and the WEBTV software install is taking place over the phone line as I type this. 48/63 parts so far. And it's downloading over OOMA as well. ****

Last edited:
Hello,

I am debating going back to Dish after a 7 year absence or so. Looking at the new fee structure, I think I'm going to eventually end up with 211s with the EHD upgrade.

BUT, in the mean time, so I don't have to spend money on receivers (or on HD), I'd like to re-activate my old 7100 and 7200s (I have 3 of them), plus buy three more. It helps that I really loved the dishplayers and they will be easy for my mom to use too when I let her move in later next month.

Questions:

1. Will E* still activate them?NO, they can no longer be activated.
2. How long can I expect to use them before they force an upgrade?
3. Do these take the newest cards?no
4. Will they charge me for new cards?

I assume, based on the new pricing, my bill would look like this with 6 Dishplayers.

AT120+ $44.99 (I haven't decided on this package, just using it as an example)
Reciever 2 $7.00
Reciever 3 $7.00
Reciever 4 $7.00
Reciever 5 $7.00
Reciever 6 $7.00

My bill will look the same with if I did it with all 211 or 211k, except for the one time $39.99 EHD charge per account and the $10 for HD but no DVR fees. I've heard no DVR charge if DVRs on account weren't natively DVRS (211 and 211k) or if they came standard with under 100gb hard drive (Dishplayer 7100 and 7200)

AT120+ $44.99
HD $10.00
Reciever 2 $7.00
Reciever 3 $7.00
Reciever 4 $7.00
Reciever 5 $7.00
Reciever 6 $7.00

Thanks so much for helping me with this. Sorry, I just don't trust DISH reps. I'd like to get buy with the DISHPLAYERs for now and one by one replace them with 211s (or the 222 if they ever release the EHD for it).

Any suggestions or alternatives are welcome as well.

Jason

**** Just FYI......I just replaced the hard drive in one of my old 7200s and the WEBTV software install is taking place over the phone line as I type this. 48/63 parts so far. And it's downloading over OOMA as well. ****

The old dishplayers are no longer supported

DISH basically forced us to "upgrade" to 501's/508's a year ago or so, with the threat of the 7200's being deactivated. They never gave an exact date though AFAIK. Not sure if they ever followed through or not. I took the bait and ended up with 4 508's for my 2 7200's (shipping screwup I guess).

When the purple cards became the standard the 7200/7100 became boat anchors. If it was active it qualified for upgrade, in the closet it became a dust collector.

I still have two 508's from the last time I was a DISH sub in 2007. My local installer says I couldn't just reactivate them - I'd have to go with DISH's current equipment.

He is wrong. 508 can be reactivated but yours will need a new G3 smart card because of the card update. This is assuming they weren't red flagged (this only happens if you were caught account stacking or if you canceled your account with an unpaid balance).

So I could save myself some money if I just ordered a single 722 (serving one HD and one SD TV) and added the other 508s to serve SD TV #3 and #4? What would I be charged for the additional outlets?

You would be charged $7.00 per additional receiver on the 508s. The 722 would be your main receiver and you would get one $6.00 dvr fee per account. So $14.00 for the two 508 receivers.

He is wrong. 508 can be reactivated but yours will need a new G3 smart card because of the card update. This is assuming they weren't red flagged (this only happens if you were caught account stacking or if you canceled your account with an unpaid balance).

what if ira has since been installed with a 1000.4 dish? then even with a new g3 card it wont work if the install requires mpeg4 equipment.

In that case, put up a dish500 to serve the older receivers. Those are plentiful and easy to install.

Thanks everyone. That helped a lot.

I will be going with all 211/211k's with EHD. It's the smarter move anyways with 6 HD TV (3 are CRT rear projection 480p/1080i, so don't give me too much grief)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)