Actuator Error No Pulse - Vbox / Analog Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phpinfo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
USA
Actuator Error No Pulse - Vbox / Analog Receiver (pics)

I have a 10' BUD with BSC621-2. I use a Coolsat 6000 receiver and use an old analog receiver to move the dish.

I just order a Vbox 6 and I am having some issues. I am getting the "Er2" message on the front, which the manual says No Pulses.

Also, on the analog receiver, if I try to move the dish too far at once, like from 99W to 123W, it will give an actuator pulse error. I will then have to reset the receiver and start the move once again. But if I move little by little, or only a few sats at a time, if moves without issues.

I check the wiring on the dish, and it was a little corroded. I re-stripped the ends for the power and pulse wires and sanded them. There is also a splice, but I fixed it in the summer. Could this be a wiring issue?

UPDATE:

I took the Vbox6 out to the dish and hooked it up with some heavy gauge 6 inch wire. The dish was already positioned way to the West, so I moved it all the way over to the East without an error or issue.

But then I started to move it back to the West, and the Vbox gave Er1 and Er2 codes, which are "Over Current" and "Pulse Error" respectively.

So I guess the question now is, why is it doing this? Why does it move to the East fine but not the West? What causes Over Current issues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the analog receiver will move as long as it is not too long of a span, and the VBox will move little by little, would that indicate that the wiring is fine?

Could it be the reed sensor?

Here are some pics. Is that the reed sensor glued on the side??

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

I could be its to far away or the reed is failing. There could be noise being picked up and smearing the data.

Im starting to learn all about reed sensors and actuators since I've been going through headaches on my own stuff.

Best to get a DVOM set it for continuity connect it to the sensor terminals and move the dish. See if you get a beep each time it passes over the magnet. Are the beeps the same length and in a definite pattern? This will help confirm the reed is working right.

Am I correct that the reed sensor is in picture 3 above, which is glued on the side?

Where should I move it to, to get it closer? I think I will try that first.

I will also take the VBox out next to the dish, just to make sure it is not the wiring.

The reed sensor is a little glass or plastic unit that the sensor wires attach too. It's a switch that opens and closes by the magnetic field. They do get weak, contaminated, contacts corrode, and get magnetized. There is no rocket science to them so once you grasp the concept its a cakewalk.

See if the unit can get closer to the magnets, some are adjustable some aren't.

The reed sensor is a little glass or plastic unit that the sensor wires attach too. It's a switch that opens and closes by the magnetic field. They do get weak, contaminated, contacts corrode, and get magnetized. There is no rocket science to them so once you grasp the concept its a cakewalk.

See if the unit can get closer to the magnets, some are adjustable some aren't.

Okay, so is the reed sensor inside the motor, or is it glued on the side as show in pic 3. Where are the magnates? Behind the plate where the reed sensor is, or up top near the round part?

I dont have an Ajax mount but the reed sensor is as indicated in the photo. The magnets have to be on a plate that spins right in that area. Someone with an Ajax could tell you exactly. The concept is the same for all actuators though.

Attachments

• REED.jpg
    REED.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 222
I dont have an Ajax mount but the reed sensor is as indicated in the photo. The magnets have to be on a plate that spins right in that area. Someone with an Ajax could tell you exactly. The concept is the same for all actuators though.

I will do some test's and let you know. Thanks!

Since he has to reset the analog receiver this could point to an overcurrent issue. The analog receiver may put out more current than the VBox and is able to move the dish a distance before going into overcurrent failure. The VBox may be giving up before the dish moves.

Since he has to reset the analog receiver this could point to an overcurrent issue. The analog receiver may put out more current than the VBox and is able to move the dish a distance before going into overcurrent failure. The VBox may be giving up before the dish moves.

The analog receiver will go a decent distance then give the actuator error. I will then have to press two little buttons on the back, which I believe is some sort of breaker.

For the Vbox, it seems to only go pulse by pulse, although I noticed that it will go East without issues, but give an error when trying to go back west.

What would cause there to be an overcurrent issue?

FYI, I haven't done any tests yet from previous posts. Will test Vbox with extension cord next to dish and test reed sensor.

Update

UPDATE:

I took the Vbox6 out to the dish and hooked it up with some heavy gauge 6 inch wire. The dish was already positioned way to the West, so I moved it all the way over to the East without an error or issue.

But then I started to move it back to the West, and the Vbox gave Er1 and Er2 codes, which are "Over Current" and "Pulse Error" respectively.

So I guess the question now is, why is it doing this? Why does it move to the East fine but not the West? What causes Over Current issues?

I had the exact same problem,,,,,I fooled aroung for days trying to find out what was wrong,,,,,actually turned ot to be that the wire motors are pretty thick,,,therefore I grinded them down a little to make them thinner and flatter,,,,,and it has been working like a charm since then

Try it out and let me know

Good luck,,,

I had the exact same problem,,,,,I fooled aroung for days trying to find out what was wrong,,,,,actually turned ot to be that the wire motors are pretty thick,,,therefore I grinded them down a little to make them thinner and flatter,,,,,and it has been working like a charm since then

Try it out and let me know

Good luck,,,

When I hooked the Vbox up right at the dish, I used Cat5 wires then used heavier gauge wires. The problem was the same regardless of the wire.

Are you taking about the M1, M2, sensor and pulse wires?

The ones I grinded down were the motor wires,,I am using cat5 wires for sensor pulse wires,,,,

If this does not work,invert yr sensor wires,,,,,also it is recommended to set up yr East/West limits before hand

Cheers,,,

I tried various wires for the motor with the same result. Fine going East, issues going west.

Any other ideas?

Flip the M1 and M2, so the Dish moves in the opposite direction it should.
Does it still error when the Dish moves west?

Okay, the first time must have been my imagination, because going East or west it still gives Over Current (Er1) and Pulse (Er2) errors. It doesn't seem as bad going East, but it gives both errors either way.

So switching the wires gave the same result.

What causes an over current issue???

I would hook a 12 volt battery charger to the motor at the dish and see how many amps it's drawing when moving. If it's high above a few amps (3 or so) you may have something physically wrong with the motor itself or gears assembly causing the drag and pushing up the current.

At that point I would see if there is any type of binding in the gears etc. If not tear the motor apart and see whats causing the drag.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)