Ad Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember right it was $5k + monthly. Then again isn't there 150,000+ registered members here at the site? If only 25% of them contributed $1 a month that would more than enough to cover the expenses without ads & leave room for the nice giveaways the site does.

If this post is offensive, I apologize. I truly am trying to post constructive criticism. I understand the need for ads on a site like this, but, also believe the financial obligations could easily be obtained with a different approach & simply by asking for the funds on a as needed basis. That is my opinion.

Not in the least. :)

One of your suggestions they are looking at building into vBulletin 5. (And that is a having options for a one time free trial without ads.) :)

I guess right now I could set things up so that new accounts could get an ad free experience for 5 days or something like that. But the problem is if I do that whats to stop someone from making another account after their trial runs out?

As far ask asking for money I am not like that at all, after all it took me almost 9 years to really push Pub Memberships with the ads.

And before anyone asks I am not doing it because we need more money, in fact last month was a record month for us. Once the numbers are finalized and the money is deposited into my account I am looking at doing something very special to say THANKS!

In addition since we removed vbSEO two weeks ago, traffic has picked up for us (which is really surprising to me) The past week alone I have noticed that we have over 2,500 people online! Normally in the same time frame the traffic would be around 2,000.

Please sock some money away for the inevitable rainy day.

If I remember right it was $5k + monthly. Then again isn't there 150,000+ registered members here at the site? If only 25% of them contributed $1 a month that would more than enough to cover the expenses without ads & leave room for the nice giveaways the site does.
Scott has stated in the past that pub memberships don't pay the bills as they're a fraction of the amount brought in from the sponsors, i.e. the businesses that pay to have their name/logo at the top of every page.

Also, the number of members isn't entirely accurate. That number is people who have signed up. It is not the number of "active" members. There used to be a page that showed and a huge number of people register, visit one time, and never return. I always thought it was odd as I never register at a site until I've visited a number of times and decide it's worth staying.

And before anyone asks I am not doing it because we need more money, in fact last month was a record month for us. Once the numbers are finalized and the money is deposited into my account I am looking at doing something very special to say THANKS!
As suggested above, I'd vote for saving that money. I don't think members need or want anything in return outside of the information that the site offers.

......Some members might have noticed that the number of posts per page has changed from 10 to 6. I will be 100% honest this was done on the advice of one of our ad agencies who feel less posts per page = more page views, which in turn equals more ad revenue. More ad revenue means we can show less ads! Unfortunately this change is a global change meaning it changes everyone's default number of pages down to 6, it does not unfortunately let me specify the unregistered usergroup to make this change for. But the good news is you have complete control in your user control panel to adjust the number of posts to your liking. ........

Ok, I'm missing it. I've been to Profiles and Settings, and I can't find where to change posts per page from 6 to 10. Where precisely should I be looking?

navychop, if you click on "settings" in the top right (beside "log out"), then click on "General Settings" in the menu along the left hand side, you'll come to a page with all the settings.

On that page, scroll down to the section "Thread Display Options" and change the Number of Posts to Show Per Page. Then scroll down and click Save Changes.

sgs

Thank you. I don't know how I missed seeing "Number of Posts to Show Per Page."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)