Ad Styler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Since the original theme is no longer available, I have experimented with AD Styler a bit.... If I'm not mistaken, the elements that it changes are pretty minimal.

Changing the font, for example, only changes the headings below (About, Quick Navigation, Other, and Respect the site....) and the forum name (above). By the way, you probably only see 4-5 font choices when you open it. Click and hold the 4-way arrow and move the dialog box up and you'll see more available.

Picking one of the items in the drop-down, i.e. Minecraft, Cliff, Dungeon, etc, only changes the very outside border color and the bar with Forums/Members/Other Sites. Same thing applies with the Body Background Pattern. Only a sliver of it is visible.

Is it changing more stuff for others ?

I didnt try the fonts but where it says "colors" in ad styler and shows you the 4 color options you can change the other colors in the theme. Also if you choose the color options instead of ad styler you can change some colors.

I think its pretty cool, but a wishlist item for me (as I asked in another thread), would be to change the font in the postings. Times New Roman is dated IMO, so I'd like to change it to a lighter more modern font without all the serifs.

Reactions: TG2
Yeah, "old" is a good way to describe the message font. It's not TNR, but some other serif font.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Since the original theme is no longer available, I have experimented with AD Styler a bit.... If I'm not mistaken, the elements that it changes are pretty minimal.

Changing the font, for example, only changes the headings below (About, Quick Navigation, Other, and Respect the site....) and the forum name (above). By the way, you probably only see 4-5 font choices when you open it. Click and hold the 4-way arrow and move the dialog box up and you'll see more available.

Picking one of the items in the drop-down, i.e. Minecraft, Cliff, Dungeon, etc, only changes the very outside border color and the bar with Forums/Members/Other Sites. Same thing applies with the Body Background Pattern. Only a sliver of it is visible.

Is it changing more stuff for others ?

To answer your question....No That's all I was able to change.After playing with all the settings I ended up going back to default theme.

Yeah, "old" is a good way to describe the message font. It's not TNR, but some other serif font.

Ok with inspector in Firefox I found out its Georgia. Yeah a way to choose that font would be nice.

Though that aside, this forum has come a long way since the old software and I really like it. So far some great work here!

Disappointed with the upgrade.

Agreed Georgia / Times New Roman is no good for text on web pages.

Unhappy with the color choices that don't allow grouping.. sure you can get an individual color but what next? how do you grab complimentary color sets?

And it seems the only styles that turn off the top nav, also go extra wide screen mode.

Lastly, the email coming only in HTML format? really? :(

It's 2014 and you don't have have an email program that dead HTML... Really? ;)

I am working on getting it so the text of the posts change to your selected font. :)

Right now I got to get ready to start my radio show. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: TG2
What about the font-chooser in AD Styler only changing a couple elements? The impression was that users could control the fonts used extensively.

What about the font-chooser in AD Styler only changing a couple elements? The impression was that users could control the fonts used extensively.
That's what I'm taking Scott to mean. Though I also hope that means we get more options to turn off that f* top nav bar ... I'm in the dislike camp for bars like that.

the rest .. smirks on email, etc, there's no reason not to offer text only, giving users content without the stupidity that HTML offers, if for no other reason that the default of many email programs is (or should be) not to pull HTML from the web (href= & img= references) as that gives spammers an easy way to track emails have reached an address.

How much email do you really get from this site? I guess if you choose to subscribe to threads then yes...

Well there *was* subscribe to thread, there was also daily pub and daily summary messages.

Any and all of which coming without HTML was nice.. quick to review, didn't have any of HTML's pompous flair getting in the way.

Oh, that's also not pointing out that poisoned HTML links are bad .. not that stuff coming from Sat Guys is poisened or malicious, but again, why should *I* have to change something that I've been doing to protect myself on any site I register for updates from (been doing this for more than 15 years).

Sometimes there really are good and valid reasons.

Reactions: TheKrell
I really don't care one way or the other, but I respect that some people prefer text-only emails - for security and privacy reasons.

Well I checked with the Xenforo folks about the HTML emails since there no settings we have for HTML or non HTML emails and was told the following...

a single standard email consists of 2 parts. The HTML part and the text part. If the mail client of the receiver is not able to show (or instructed to avoid) HTML, it will automatically show the text part. Otherwise it will automatically show the HTML part.

So I guess they are counting on the mail client to decide what's best. You might want to check your client settings. :)

(Hey I didn't write it... just reporting what I am told.) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts