Adapters and Wall Plates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Timsatx

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I think I have seen statements that adapters (i.e. F/F bullet) need to be designed for High Frequency to effectively handle the HD signals. Is this true? If it is, what about wall plates? I haven't seen many of them. I also haven't found any adapters or wall plates at local hardware stores or Radio Shack that make any statement with regards to their ability to handle high frequencies.

I already know about solidsignal. I was even looking at their website as I type the original message. I was curious as to:

1) Was that is fact true (needing high-frequency adapters), and

2) Is the quality of the items at places like Lowes, Home Depot or Radio Shack up to that level since none of them mention anything about frequency range.

I have used wall plates with standard barrel connectors without problems (SD, HD, normal, SWM). If one is paranoid, they can replace the fittings with the 3 GHz types.

Yeah you will be ok with a regular one on a wall jack, as long as it is decent quality, not one of the Wal-mart cheapos.

how much are the ones at HD/Lowes/Walmart? No more than a few bucks. I think you'll find they'll probably work just fine, but if not, you're not out much.

I used monoprice.com for all my wall plates. The Kestone brand is nice because you can always add to them if needed. You can add more connections on 1 wall pate such as cat5e, phone, and type f. Every room in my home is wired like that.

They are cheap but, very good quality.

Thanks for the input. The current wall plate is one I got from Home Depot. Should be okay.

I am going to stay home tomorrow to work on adjusting the antenna. I want to do it then because rain is in the forecast Wednesday thru Saturday. We are in a 18 month drought but knowing my luck it would rain the entire time. So I will work at kicking Murphy's butt. :)

basically your looking for a F81 rated connector.. From a service tech stand point stay away from "clear" dielectrics in barrels. alot depends on distance too, but I have been on many service calls where I only replaced a cheap barreled wallplate with a f81 and everything miraculously worked again.

Nice, F81. I like nice, clear, alphanumeric digits. Makes things easier to identify. I will look at that next time I get out and see if they mention anything like that.

The main difference between the two connectors other than one is white and the other is blue, is the way the connection is made.

The white connectors basically look like two knuckles pressed against each other. The center conductor of the cable slides inbetween these two to make a connection. So you have only two small contact points. It will pass the same signal as the other connector but is more prone to oxidation at these two small contact points.

The blue connections have a funnel that the center conductor of the wire slides into. This give a connection all the way around the wire. It is less prone to oxidation because there is more contact with the center conductor.

Ever notice what color the conections on the back of the receiver are? Yep you guessed it they are white. I have only seen a few times where the old clear or white barrels on the wall plate caused a signal problem. If you moved the wire in and out of the connector a few times it solved the problem. I still personally change the fittings to the 3 ghz type most of the time just because it is a better connection.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)