Add 3rd TV & DVR to 625?

Semiclueless

Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Please bear with me, as I need very simplified instructions, if this can be done. We have a Dish 625 with 2 TVs. My 86 year old mother is moving in with us next month, and I would like to add a 3rd TV, in her room. I'd also like to add her personal DVR to it, so she can record programs. I looked at the Dish site, and it doesn't appear that they make a receiver for 3 TVs. Back in the dark ages, I knew how to use splitters for cable and VCRs, etc. But I don't know much about the Dish technology. I set up the new receiver when we upgraded, but it had instructions with pictures! :)

1. Can I add a 3rd TV to the Dish 625?
2. If so, exactly how do I do it? (assume I know nothing when explaining)
3. Can I add a 3rd party DVR into the mix as well? (If so, how?)

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me, even if it's just to say, "No, you can't do that"

If you want her to have her own DVR, then you want another receiver. There are 2 tuners in the 625. Not 3, so you'll never have a "dedicated" DVR for a third TV.

Call 1-800-333-3474 and see what you are elligible for in upgrades. A 510 would be ideal but they have been discontinued so a 625 would probably be what is offered they should quote you an installed price. If you don't like their price come back here and tell us what exactly you have for equipment. Dish 500? Legacy LNB/Dish Pro Twin LNB/Dish Pro Plus Twin LNB? Pre run cable to mothers room or need new cable? Do you have just one receiver or you said upgraded to 625?

You might try to obtain a 510 thru eBay (use caution - be sure the unit is not stolen or has
PPV fees on it by having Dish check the serial number).

I have a 510 that we have used for 3-4 years, absolutely no problems.

You will have to run another cable from the dish/switch to the new reciever, and it will cost you about $10 per month for extra receiver and DVR fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)