Add a receiver

jrfuda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
San Antonio, TX, USA
We have a VIP 622. We used to also have a 522, which we turned-in in March after realizing we never really used it... However, no we're going to have someone staying with us for over a year and want it back! Actually, any standard single tuner receiver will do.

Will Dish lease us another receiver without a big charge, or will we have to pay a lot of money? If there is a "down payment" to be made, is there an alternative we could buy to save money in the long run?

Thanks!

OK, called Dish.

$49 for a SD receiver, installed +$5 a month, Promo on through August 2... So not a bad deal, unless a better promo (like the same for an mpeg4 receiver) comes along after 2 August.

I don't need the receiver until mid-September, so what'll y'all thing. Wait for a better promo, or bite now?

That sounds about right. I believe you can get the same promo ($49.00) for a 211 which is an MPEG4 receiver but you'll need to subscribe to the Metal packages and the lease fee is $6.00 not $5.00.

Looking at your signature, you already subscribe to HDGold so I would ask for a 211 so you can use the OTA tuner.

Thanks Randall,

Once again a CSR gave a 1/2-arse answer. I asked him several times if there was a HD receiver available as an add-on and he said "no". I guess it's time to play roulette!

Ouch!

I called Dish today about adding a receiver to see if a better offer had come along.. They said (tech support guy) $149 for SD (311) receiver, $299 for HD (VIP211). Both include installation.

I know I can buy a 311 for $99, 322 for $149, and VIP211 for $234 - but once you factor in the pain I'd have to go through for install - it's not much of a discount (I'd have to run wire to a second story room and all I have is a 6' step ladder...)

I guess a better offer did not come along...

you got some bad info. the dish-it-up is $49 for any sd receiver and the vip211. the vip622 is $199. for you i would get a used one from ebay. it will save you money in the long run to own it. good luck

jrfuda said:
Hopefully, there'll be a new promotion in the next month... I won't need the extra receiver until early Mid-Sep/Early October.
For you the grass will always be greener on the other side of the fence. Promotions are not scheduled to change again until the end of January 2007. Lease customers are allowed 1 Dishing it up per year you used yours to upgrade to 622. As suggested start shopping Ebay or see if your local dealer can work out a deal for you.:)

It would be better to purchase a receiver, used or new. That way you can activate the receiver when you need it and deactivate when not needed. A leased receiver you pay every month whether you use it or not.
I bought a 301 at a yard sale for $20.00, i don' t use it now but i can activate with a phone call.