Add to Home Screen

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
No selection available to add SatGuys to my home screen from Chrome browser in my Android cell phone. All other web sites has Add to Home screen available. SatGuys web site use to have the capability but no longer. Any one have a clue why not?

SatGuys web site use to have the capability but no longer.
It appears that the mobile version of the site turns off the Chrome status bar (and thusly Chrome's own Hamburger Menu) and that's where Chrome's "add to home screen" option was. If you check your running apps, you'll find that the site runs in a new window. I'm not sure how to turn on the status bar once it has been turned off.

Recent changes to navigation in mobile browsers seems to have made them a whole lot harder to use.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't have an Android device to test, but if I had to guess this started happening around the time we update Xenforo and upgraded our styles for the new version of Xenforo.

I will look tomorrow and see what I can find, and will load up blue stacks on a PC so I can test from Android. :)

Happy 4th!

I don't have an Android device to test, but if I had to guess this started happening around the time we update Xenforo and upgraded our styles for the new version of Xenforo.

I will look tomorrow and see what I can find, and will load up blue stacks on a PC so I can test from Android. :)

Happy 4th!
Thanks Scott. I did have a SatGuys icon on my home page but decided to delete it and make a new one to see if it would help the slow to open issue. Sometimes it was taking the site up to 10 seconds to open when I selected the icon. Since the Add to Home page selection isn't there anymore I installed the SatGuys app. It takes me three clicks now instead of one to get to the Watched Threads page that I like to open with.

Happy 4th!
Any luck Scott Greczkowski figuring out the Add to Home screen issue?

Add to Home Screen works for me in Bluestacks. I went to the home page in Google Chrome in Android, then clicked on the three dots to the right of the URL board and clicked on add to Home Screen.

It added a SatelliteGuys! app to the home screen.

I do notice that is is now a PWA (Progressive Web App) and not just a bookmark on the home screen. This is something new in Xenforo. And there are no settings for it other then text direction (left to right or right to left) and setting the logo icon. It (android) no longer saves it as a book mark to your screen like it use to since PWA is built into the forum software.

I will keep looking around and see if there is a way to put a bookmark on your Home Screen. Which is what I believe you are trying to do.

Just trying these things...

Add to Home Screen works for me in Bluestacks. I went to the home page in Google Chrome in Android, then clicked on the three dots to the right of the URL board and clicked on add to Home Screen.

It added a SatelliteGuys! app to the home screen.

I do notice that is is now a PWA (Progressive Web App) and not just a bookmark on the home screen. This is something new in Xenforo. And there are no settings for it other then text direction (left to right or right to left) and setting the logo icon. It (android) no longer saves it as a book mark to your screen like it use to since PWA is built into the forum software.

I will keep looking around and see if there is a way to put a bookmark on your Home Screen. Which is what I believe you are trying to do.
Yep, I guess bookmark is what I want. I did have a bookmark on my home screen that took me straight to my watched threads. Now I have to use the SatGuys app on my home screen and it takes more steps. Thanks for checking.

In a perfect world I would love to set up everything and have it work and never have to upgrade again. But with all the security updates as well as always changing requirements from folks like Google updates unfortunately are required and these upgrades add new things that I would never have added or break old features.

I hate it but I guess it keeps me on my toes. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)