Adding 2nd receiver and need a little help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

metalgod3082

Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Chandler, AZ
Somewhat new to satellite but have been reading up on it a bunch. I have the general idea of how splitters, separators, and diplexers work. I'm trying to add a 2nd receiver to one of my upstairs bedrooms. Currently we have a ViP 722k Dual Tuner DVR in our family room. The output is feeding 3 of the upstairs bedrooms. We also have cable internet going into 1 room upstairs. I'm am wanting to add another receiver upstairs so we can watch different television on 3 different TV's. There is one line that comes from the outside carrying the satellite and the cable with teh use of diplexers. I'm trying to see if there is any way to add another receiver without having to get up on the room as I do not have a ladder that is that tall. I have attached a picture of our current setup (sorry it's not the best drawing). Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Satellite Setup.jpg
    Satellite Setup.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 154
Each receiver needs its own line to the switch/dish. That line can share antenna/cable with the use of diplexers, but the line cannot be shared with another receiver. Dish essentially uses the 1-2 GHz frequency band of the cable for its signal, OTA and cable use 0-1 GHz.

A local dealer could quote you a rate to run a line to that bedroom. Now it is possible based on your drawing that they would only have to get the line up into the attic and could use the existing line going down in the wall to the room.

I would reccomend you talk to them about a 211k receiver for your bedroom. That way you will have HD, and you could later add an external USB harddrive to turn it into a DVR is you wanted to do so later.

Oh ok cool thanks for the info! I thought maybe i could tie the 2nd line coming down to the ground from the dish into the one line going into the house somehow. So the LNB has 3 ports capable of connecting dual or single tuner receivers right? I think I may be able to get up there and run a cable from the dish to the box in the master bedroom and then just remove my line from the splitter and attach it to the cable that I run.

Each port on your dish would be able to run a single or dual receiver.

The easiest method is a single cable from the dish to the receiver. The diplexers are just really in case you need to send both OTA and dish signals down to your box on the same cable. You also could keep the OTA cable and run a new one for the dish signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts