adding 3rd receiver and combatibility questions

87hardbody

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Hello, I currently have a 722 in my living room, (and a 322 in one bedroom) I want to run the 722 in single mode and get a 3rd SD single tuner receiver

to use on the tv that currently is hooked up to TV2 on the 722. If I purchase a used receiver either a 301 or a 311 will I have any problems activating it? I read on the forum that some receivers have smart cards and others have them built in, my LNB says it is a DPP twin.

Since I will not have the cable going to "TV2" from the 722 can I remove the splitter/diplexer from the back of the 722 and use the single cable coming in to the 722 with the splitter/diplexer to feed both of the sat. inputs? currently there is 1 cable coming in going to a diplexer than 1 cable goes to sat in, the other cable goes to a second diplexer in which 1 cable goes to sat in 2 and the other goes to "TV2".

Will I need to run a seperate cable from the dish to the new receiver?

If a used receiver is not a good idea any suggestions on where to purchase a new or reconditioned one fairly cheap?

Thanks

You will need 3 lines off the dish, 1 to each receiver. The dual tuners require the DPP seperator to work properly and no you cant split off the signal there to another receiver. You would need to upgrade to a Dish 1000.2 or add a DPP44 switch to add a third receiver with this setup.

Most newer receivers have built in smart cards. Activation is not a problem as long as you get a receiver that is not leased and does not have a balance on it. Ebay sells alot of used receivers for cheap. Ive bought several and never had a problem. The dish store also sells them for a good price with great service.

"The dual tuners require the DPP seperator to work properly and no you cant split off the signal there to another receiver."

That's not what I was saying, I asked if I could eliminate the 2nd splitter/diplexer behind the 722 since I would no longer need the line coming out from the "TV2" jack

I called Dish today they want $79 for a remanufactured receiver, this was after they told me I couldn't do what I wanted to as I have the 4 tv pkg. and adding a 3rd receiver would make 5 tv's, than when I explained that i would still only have 4 tv's connected because I would have the 722 running in single mode the lady said i could do it.

what is the "dishstore" I'm very new to Dish Network? How do I know whether I have the Dish 1000.2 or not?

That's not what I was saying, I asked if I could eliminate the 2nd splitter/diplexer behind the 722 since I would no longer need the line coming out from the "TV2" jack

It would have been a lot less confusing if you had referred to the the DPP Separator as DPP Separator and not a diplexer. It is a diplexer, but calling it a diplexer confuses its function with a traditional (TV + Satellite) diplexer, and you've got one of those too.

I think this is what you have now:

Single cable into DPP Separator
One leg of DPP Separator into Satellite 1
One leg of DPP Separator into Diplexer
Satellite leg of diplexer into Satellite 2
TV leg of diplexer into TV 2 output

And you are asking if you can get rid of the diplexer connected to TV 2, and just connect the DPP Separator to Sat 1 and 2. The answer is of course, that's how most people have it set up. I actually have TV 2 hooked into the single cable coming into the DPP separator, rather than diplexing it onto one of the two legs coming out of the DPP separator.

How do I know whether I have the Dish 1000.2 or not?

DISH10002notes.JPG

so what is needed to install a 3rd receiver, and what single tuner Sd receiver will work? Sorry about all the questions this is confusing to me compared to direct tv I had before. My wife is ready to call Dish up and cancel and go back to direct tv I'm trying to find an alternative, I really don't want to pay 23 months of cancellation fees.

What's got her crazy is TV1 on the 722 is recording a program in living room, we are watching TV2, her daughter wants to watch a program on TV1 but can't change the channel because it will cancel the recording, etc. I figured adding the 3rd receiver for TV2 would solve the problem as tv in living room in single mode would be able to record 1 program while watching a second and 2nd tv (formerly TV2) will be seperate from 722 receiver all together.

If I can get a receiver from Dish would they normally do what ever has to be done to make this work for free as part of the install??

Thanks again for your replies.

Yes under a dishin it up they would do the work as part of the upgrade. However being a new customer Im pretty sure you would not qualify for DIU at this time.

Any single tuner receiver should work. If you have a DPP twin now they you have a dish 1000.

As we said above a dish 1000.2 or DPP44 would be what you need to add the third receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts