Adding 3rd Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AndyOI

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
I currently have a Dish 500 Twin tuned to 110 and 119. I have one cable off it running straight to the receiver in my family room and the other cable off of it going to straight to a bedroom. Now I'm looking to add a 3rd receiver to my rec room. I'm clueless on how to do this, seeing as splitters aren't possible I hear.

At the same time, I'm curious as to whether this Dish 500 System will support HD channels? If not, would a new Superdish?

You can just replace the twin with a Quad LNB then just run another cable from the Quad to the 3rd receiver.
Some one else will have to answer the HD question as I dont use HD so I dont know much about it.

welcome to the site. if you only have a duel lnb, you either have to buy a quad or use switches.

you can get hd with dish 500.

visit often and welcome.

Thank you for the welcome. I only have the twin (two connections) and it sounds like a switch would be easier to install. Which switch would I go about using and how would I wire it in?

As another possibility, does a new SuperDish have 4 outputs? I could make the upgrade to local channels and get one installed for $50 to save me some hassle that way.

The Super Dish itself doesn't have 4 outputs, but the accompanying DP 34 or DP+ 44 switch will have your 4 outputs that you're looking for. If upgrading to a Super is only going to cost you $50, then that is cheaper than the DP Quad or DP 34 switch you would have had to buy; not to mention the added benefit of having local channels.

AndyOI said:
Thank you for the welcome. I only have the twin (two connections) and it sounds like a switch would be easier to install. Which switch would I go about using and how would I wire it in?

As another possibility, does a new SuperDish have 4 outputs? I could make the upgrade to local channels and get one installed for $50 to save me some hassle that way.
SD comes with a DP-34 switch so go that route if it is available to you. :)

AndyOI said:
I only have the twin (two connections) and it sounds like a switch would be easier to install. Which switch would I go about using and how would I wire it in?
You wouldn't. If that is a legacy Twin it is maxed out at 2 tuners -- there is no switch that can be connected to add more. The DP Twin can be used as the input of the DP34 or DPP44 switches.

If you convert to DishPro, each legacy receiver you may have will need a $69 DishPro Adapter unless you get the more expensive DPP44 switch.

The HD channels come from 110° (HD Pack, HBO, Sho), 61.5° (Voom, CBS-NY, Demo), and 148° (CBS-LA, HBO, Sho). See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/107. There are more HD channels coming but no announcement of where they will be, and there is speculation they may be put on a slot currently not in use. If you don't want your locals or Voom, just get a Quad. If you add locals, you'll get a DP34 with the SD but if you also want Voom you want that switch upgraded to a DPP44.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts