Adding 61.5 to Dish 500 w/ DP Quad

slanich

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 21, 2003
I now have a Dish 500 with DishPro Quad LNBF, this outputs to 4 receivers. I have ordered a second dish for 61.5 from Dishnetwork, and I want to be sure the installer does this upgrade correctly. What switch and LNBF configuration should he use to add 61.5? Should I keep the Quad, or should that be changed out for a DP Twin (or Dual??) and a DP 34? Thanks.

He would switch the quad for a DP Twin and a DP34 switch. That would give him 3 inputs (119, 110, 61.5) and 4 outputs.

Unless you are on the DHP, you can keep your quad as a spare. If you own the equipment, make sure your installer doesnt take the quad!!

Since the quad is DP I would assume that the installer would leave it and just add the new dish for 61.5 and a DP34 switch. There is no reason to take the quad down and replace it for the twin unless he plans on taking the quad(not good) for himself!

Thats how they did mine, took off my quad and added a twin with a DP34 switch. Make sure they don't take the quad, they took mine. I emailed dish and they are sending it back.

TheaterWizard said:
Since the quad is DP I would assume that the installer would leave it and just add the new dish for 61.5 and a DP34 switch. There is no reason to take the quad down and replace it for the twin unless he plans on taking the quad(not good) for himself!

But the DP34 has 3 in and 4 out....they would have to swap it out to a twin..

Unless you are on DHP, make sure your installer doesnt take your quad!!

John Corn said:
Why can't they use his existing quad and the single LNB (61.5)with the DP 34?

That would make two too many wires for input into the DP34, wouldn't it?

slanich said:
John Corn said:
Why can't they use his existing quad and the single LNB (61.5)with the DP 34?

That would make two too many wires for input into the DP34, wouldn't it?
They only need to use two of the four from the quad. (per DP34) Since the DP34 can be cascaded up to three you could get up to 24 receivers hooked to the one dish.

Also, the 61.5 dish needs a DishPro Single.

No need to swap out the Quad, just leave two of the outputs unconected. The DP34 will configure one of the connected lines from the Quad for 110, and the other for 119.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually they can (I just found this out yesterday)

Who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks. :D

Seems to me I have tried this in the past with no luck, has anyone here actually used a legacy LNB with a DP34 switch? I have always been warned not to use that combination. Would be a lifesaver in alot of situations.

As for the 'tech taking the quad' thing... I reconscile equipment usage and reimbursements for an RSP... if we swap a DPQuad for a Twin and DP34, we need to return the quad to Dish to balance the payments out. Dish's reasoning is that you just got an expensive switch and twin for free, return the equipment to make up for it.

If you paid for the parts a la carte, and the tech installs them, the quad is yours to keep.

Would this work for a 522/921 setup and a DP quad?

I have been wanting to put up a 61.5 but am on DHP. The installer basically ignored me when I asked about it back in Jan at install time.

I have an extra quad antenna in my shed that my neighbor gave me when he went to DTV.

All I should need is a DP34 now- right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)