Adding a 3rd Reciever

TRBOB

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Northwest Florida
I would appreciate some advise as I am sattellite challanged.

I currently have two dishes (I have no idea why two). On the side of my house are two lines coming from the ground and continuing under my house. I have two tv's, one with a VIP 211 reciever and the other with a VIP 211K. Both are on the ground floor. I want to add a third tv in an upstairs bedroom. I called DISH and they said $149 for a third receiver or free if I agree to a new two year contract. They didn't mention any installation fee but perhaps we didn't get that far. I have a 250 package and currently paying $10 for HD, $10 for movie pass (I have no idea what that is and when I added it), and the protection plan for $6.What will be the best thing for me to do? Buy a reciever off EBay and try to hire someone to wire it up. If I go with DISH, any ideas on minimizing the cost? I really don't want a two year contract as I have been a DISH customer for years without an obligation.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Hi and :welcometo Sat Guys! Upgrades with DISH Network all do require a 24 month commitment and a credit card authorizarion for $1.00. You can always purchase the receiver outright and install yourself or hire some one to that for you and then just contact DISH Network to add it to your account. There will be an additional monthly receiver fee to have it active on your account.

The Movie Pass use to be the DISH Platinum channels but we have added the Blockbuster Movie Pass to this package and you can get 1 Disc by mail sent from Blockbuster and it has lots of perks but you would need to activate this on your dishnetwork.com online account. It is all included in the same price you use to pay for just the DISH Plaitinum Channels.

If you want to sign up for credit card autopay and paperless billing I can probably lower your monthly bill by $10.00 a month by getting you enrolled in the HD Free For Life. I would have to review your account to determine if a commitment would be required for this offer. Just PM me you account # or Phone# and I can look into it for you!

Mary or one of the other Dish IRT can confirm .. but if you're paying the 6 dollar protection plan ... doesn't that qualify the OP for a 15 dollar tech visit? and especially if they haven't had one yet ...

To our OP ... I would recommend going with another 211k .... for 40 dollars you can activate EHD/DVR access for all of your 211's and then *not* pay a per month DVR Fee.

You can purchase the 211k off ebay or brand new from Dish or from Dish Store (one of the retailers at the top of SatelliteGuys' web site) or even from Radio Shack

EHD is External Hard Drive ... paying a one time per account activation fee allows you to hook a USB2 compatible External Hard Drive to the 211 series receivers.. and this makes them into Single Satellite channel DVR's. If you have a home Over The Air Antenna ... you can attach that to your 211k's and get channels from there too ... this with the hard drive gives you the chance to record two shows at once (one satellite, one OTA)

And I would second the option if Mary can get you HD For Life.. that would save you 120 dollars in the first year alone (ie. the cost of that 211k!) ;)

Your 2-dish setup could be leaving you missing a lot of HD channels if you have the early configuration of 110-119-61.5, what is now called a "mixed arc" setup. If you let Dish do the upgrade, they should also put you on a full arc, either 61.5-72.7-77 or 110-119-129 depending on your HD locals.

You will also need a 3rd line from the new dish to the room you want the rec in. You may need a switch installed if you need to keep both existing dishes for line of sight issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts