adding a 5th receiver

alkotik

Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
I have legacy Dish500 and 61.5°. They are connected thru SW64 to 4 receivers. I want to add a 5th receiver. What is a most economical and simplest way to do that? Thanks for the help.

It depends what sat. your locals come from. If you need 61.5 for your locals you still need 129 or 72.7 to get all of your locals.

It is possible to cascade another 64 switch to add support for four more receivers. However, it is costly and complicated.

If you are able to receive all of your programming from 110,119, and 129, you could get a DishPro Twin and a Dish Pro single or dual. These would go on a 1000 dish with the proper adapter. You would then need to run three lines (one for each sat.) to the first DP34 switch and then trunk those lines from the right side of the DP34 to another DP34. The ViP 211s and the 311 are DishPro and will work fine. The 3700 is a legacy receiver and will need a DishPro adapter to work properly.

It depends what sat. your locals come from. If you need 61.5 for your locals you still need 129 or 72.7 to get all of your locals.

It is possible to cascade another 64 switch to add support for four more receivers. However, it is costly and complicated. .

What are you talking about???

If you are able to receive all of your programming from 110,119, and 129, you could get a DishPro Twin and a Dish Pro single or dual. These would go on a 1000 dish with the proper adapter. You would then need to run three lines (one for each sat.) to the first DP34 switch and then trunk those lines from the right side of the DP34 to another DP34. The ViP 211s and the 311 are DishPro and will work fine. The 3700 is a legacy receiver and will need a DishPro adapter to work properly.

Legacy receivers can read ProPlus switches (like the DPP33 switch) without DP adapters. Also you are just asking for unnecessary trouble if you use an integrated switch/LNB if you don't have to, your better off using 3 DP duals.

What are you talking about???

Legacy receivers can read ProPlus switches (like the DPP33 switch) without DP adapters. Also you are just asking for unnecessary trouble if you use an integrated switch/LNB if you don't have to, your better off using 3 DP duals.

Re-read my previous post, "It depends what sat. your locals come from. If you need 61.5 for your locals you still need 129 or 72.7 to get all of your locals."
I meant to say if you need 61.5 for your locals you still need 129 or 72.7 to get all of your HD.

However, if you are referring to cascading.
Cascading is for legacy switches. Trunking is for DP and some DPP switches. You would cascade two SW64 switches by running splitters off the duals. One side of the splitter would go to 1A on the first switch and the second side of the splitter would go 1A on the second switch. You would continue this pattern for the remaining duals (could also be done with a quad and a dual). Lastly you would need to use feed through loads on port all three B ports on the second switch. This simulates a power draw so that the switch works properly. This is how a legacy system would be setup to have more than four receivers in a system. However, as a general rule if the customer had this setup most of us would probably upgrade them to newer equipment.

The rule of legacy receivers in a DPP system is that at least one of the receivers hooked up to the switch or LNB needs to be a DP or DPP receiver. A legacy receiver does not output the same 19 volts that the newer receivers put out which puts the system at a greater risk of failure.

However, I do agree that it might be better to put in three duals. I was just merely giving one working solution. There are countless others. Plus we still need to know what satellite his channels come from to make a final determination for his setup.

Last edited:
SW64's still alive

Nice to hear someone still remembers cascasded SW64's. I did give up on the goofy loads and feed each with a passive 2x4. My 922(that is what I said) and 2 722 love the setup and I never ever ever have signal issues, dedicated dishes for each satellite. Now don't get me wrong I woud never install this at a customer but after 13 years up there my 119, 110, 61.5, and now 129(yes legacy LNBF) still work just fine. I am amazed the matrix still populates.

"It depends what sat. your locals come from. If you need 61.5 for your locals you still need 129 or 72.7 to get all of your locals."

I am not sure how to check if I use 61.5
I used to get internationals from it but not anymore. I do not subscribe to locals but sometimes I do turn them on for Olympics for example. I have top250, HDs, and a couple of premium packages.

It depends where you live. Some people get their locals from the eastern arc and some get them from the western arc, and a few get them from both.

What city do your locals come from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts