Adding a cable feed to Hopper 3?

MitchDeerfield

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2016
Florida
Comcast is giving me a free cable feed of local channels and HBO when I order their internet service. Is there any way to connect the cable feed to the Hopper (they have several local channels that Dish doesn't carry on the satellite, including subchannels) or do I just have to connect the comcast coax to my tv and bypass the DVR?

Comcast uses QAM encoding and your Hopper can't decipher that. You can, and I did for a while, split your Comcast coax and go directly to your TV. When I said 'for a while' I stopped when Comcast encoded their signal and I would need a box to get the channels.

Reactions: MitchDeerfield
I have the same and only use the HBO portion using apps (HBOGO) on my SmartTV's, Computers and Blu-ray players. Using the apps on our Samsung SmartTV's works great and we can access everything whenever we want and don't have to wait for it to air. I don't bother with the local broadcasts.

Comcast now puts all of their TV programming on Roku so you can watch it that way, not bothering with their digital set-top box. They also include a lot of free VOD content.

As far as QAM (digital) for TV services: is seems more and more MSO's plan to go IPTV, and some already have. IPTV will also take the MSO's out of the CableCard requirement, and this admin's FCC is gonna let MSO's do whatever they want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts