adding a dish 500 to 1000.2 for 61.5

boocher

Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
manchester,ct usa
I'm using a vip 722 with a 1000.2 getting 110 and 119 fine.today I mounted my old dish 500 and using the specs for my zip 06040 it said 177 az 40 ele,no skew info so I left the skew at 90 and set the elevation to 40 and az to 177 and was not able to get the stb to see 61.5.in the point dish screen I have the option of super,dish 500 or 300 so I tried it on both with no luck.I connected from the 110 lnb on the dish 500 to the lbn in on the 1000.2.when I run a check switch I get port 1 and 2 as 119 and 110 trans ok device 1k.2 port 3 reads conn then X and 1k.2 port 4 reads conn x and twin.Any info on what I might be doing wrong or maybe what the skew needs to be in Central Connecticut.I'll double check the azimuth tomorrow.When lining up the 2nd dish for 61.5 should I be masking out the lnb's on the 1000.2 ?

I assume you do not have the single LNB arm for the Dish 500, a special dish like a big Dish 300.

With 2 LNBs, you have to choose one and you will have to adjust azimuth by +/- 4.5 degrees for the off-axis LNB that you choose--first guess. The sign will depend on which horn is used. Just think of the dish as a mirror. The elevation will be off a little too but using 90-deg skew will be OK. Do not run check switch until you have a signal in the Menu-6-1-1 screen.

Basically scan the azimuth for a signal, if no signal reset the elevation (or set a different skew) and scan slowly again. Repeat. (Because the signals are circular-polarized the actual rotation is used only to get multiple satellites focused on their LNBs.) Once you have a little signal, the problem becomes easier.

Lightly tighten the bolts and use a light finger pressure up/down and left/right to find a better signal. Then loosen the corresponding nut and home in on the signal in one plane, then tighten and try the other plane, and iterate. Make sure you have the right satellite once you have enough signal. Do not do this in a storm.

This works best if you can see and hear a small TV on coax from the receiver output. Having it relayed by phone or intercom is probably slower but that is where the tone can help. The final steps are very small and take a while to show up on the screen or to the ear.
-Ken

the dish I'm trying to use as the wing dish has 2 lnb's one marked for 110 and one for 119 whether its dp dpp or dual I dont know how to tell although when I ran a check switch port 4 came up as sat type twin.

ok I did some research and from the pics I've seen describing the difference the dish 500 I'm using has a dual lnb setup.It has 2 output one each dedicated for 110 and 119 is this correct? twin dpp had a different output config?

ok I did some research and from the pics I've seen describing the difference the dish 500 I'm using has a dual lnb setup.It has 2 output one each dedicated for 110 and 119 is this correct? twin dpp had a different output config?

2 LNBs is a twin. A dual is a single LNB for a single sat position that has two outputs. A single is a single LNB for a single sat position that has one output. As was stated before you should use a dual or single LNB for the wing dish.

Check the duals to see whether there is a DP or DishPro logo on it, if there is not, the lnb's would be legacy. Your 1000.2 should be Dish Pro Plus, but could be Dish Pro. Dish Pro and legacy will not work together, Dish Pro (which is what you should want for the second dish) should be run to the input on the 1000.2's lnb,

ok now I'm thinking I have the wrong lnb for the wing dish setup.the lnbs on the dish 500 have the dish pro logo on them and there are 2 of them each lnb with its own dedicated output one is 110 and one is 119.I'm kind of getting confused with the way they named these things since twin to me would mean identical and dual would mean 2 . If this is not the one that will work for me which I'm tending to think is the case where can I pick up locally the correct lnb.

ok I missed Laddyboys reply that clarified it for me .this setup I have is a twin obviously since there are 2 of them.

Lnb single = one lnb looking at one sat with one output.
Lnb dual = one lnb looking at one sat with two outputs.
Lnb twin = one lnb lookking at two sats with two outputs and maybe one input.

If you are using a Dish 500 with two lnb's, each with two outputs than the dish has two duals. You can farther identify the technology type with the logo (or absence of logo). Which do you have?

Im not sure about wing dishes with the 1000.2 (I hardly ever see that dish around here) But know I mounted a wing dish to a D 500 with a DP Twin LNB today(we were out of singles and duals). It should still work. As long as the LNB that the 1000.2 has includes an LNB in port on it.

The 90 skew is correct as far as I know, at least thats what we use here in NC.
I was going to post links to pictures for you but the silly forum rules say i cannot since its my first post.

Google images is your friend for finding out if its a DP Single, Dual or Twin.

Keep in mind that on the twin youre only using one side of the LNB so you might have to adjust the AZ +/- 4.5 degrees, same thing if you are mounting a single or a dual in a twin LNB bracket.

i had the same setup - 1000.2 for 110,119 and 500 for 61.5. I picked up a single LNB on E-Bay for 6 bucks. ran the single lnb to the INPUT port on the 1000.2. then ran a cable from the 119 port to the receiver. on the point dish screen i used 500 for both dishes.

:eek:k: it worked for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)