adding a joey, how will this thing work?

slug420

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
can someone explain to me how the joey works from a home wiring standpoint? Online and on phone technicians have been less than enlightening.

I have just ordered my first joey which I will add to my hopper (I believe its the original hopper) and I dont know if they expect the room will have wireless signal coverage (it does not), wired network connectivity (it does), or if they are expecting it will have RG6 connectivity, how they expect it to be wired.

Appreciate any insight.

Standard install is a coax line (does not have to be RG6) from the node (client port) to the room where the Joey resides. There was early discussion of making the Joey work over cat5, but it's not officially supported nor do I have the details on making it work.

If you can find a way to get wifi coverage to the room, there have been good results reported from the wireless Joey.

would a wireless joey potentially be better than coax? I have coax run to the room, but its run from the basement, I just wasnt sure if it somehow needed to be run from the hopper. If the signal comes in from the dish, splits in the basement to the hopper and the joey, and then wireless or wired networking is an added bonus, then im golden.

I could extend wireless coverage out there probably but the issue is we turn our wi-fi off on a certain schedule (wife concerned about RF impact on baby) and it would be annoying if that impacted our ability to watch TV in that room.

If the node is in your basement and you already have coax run from the room to the basement, I'd go with that and not worry about the other options.

Reactions: jcanavera
Standard install is a coax line (does not have to be RG6) from the node (client port) to the room where the Joey resides. There was early discussion of making the Joey work over cat5, but it's not officially supported nor do I have the details on making it work.

If you can find a way to get wifi coverage to the room, there have been good results reported from the wireless Joey.
And the Wireless Joey seems far more snappy (fast) than my wired ones.

dish installer installed the dish and is coming back to do the joey.

I see now what the "node" is...thats in the basement on my electrical panel. So now it makes sense. My coax is run to the new room from that panel, so he will just hook that up to get the joey working I guess

dish installer installed the dish and is coming back to do the joey.

I see now what the "node" is...thats in the basement on my electrical panel. So now it makes sense. My coax is run to the new room from that panel, so he will just hook that up to get the joey working I guess
Absolutely!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)