Adding a Motor To A Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DapOrp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
(Newbie Alert)

I want to add a motor to my setup, but I'm confused about one thing. All these images of motors for Ku-band style dishes appear as if they have a stationary elevation setting and just compensate by the fact the dish skews sideways and ends up lower for the rest of the satellites. My question is, the initial elevation settings vary depending on your geographic location, so is there some adjustment that I just don't see in these pictures that you can change the extent to which the pole sticks out from the motor for your own specific location?

I have a 1.0 metre Primestar dish if anyone wants to suggest a good motor for moving this beast around. I plan on building my own mounting bracket adaptor to make it fit a smaller sized pole.

check out this picture:

There are two places to set elevation.

The motor elevation is fixed as-per your latitude.

The dish elevation (or declination setting) is what you use to peak your sat signal. 'Dish elevation' isn't exactly the declination setting, but it is where the declination angle is set. The declination angle is only like 5°. It makes more sense if you ever get a chance to setup a polar mount. The dish elevation that the calculators figure out just tells you where to set the elevation on the dish's elevation scale so that the declination angle is set right (or at least close :) ).

The declination angle is what forms the arc that the dish tracks.

Shawn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)