Maybe a naive question

MattFL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 24, 2022
South Florida
This may be a bit of a naive question, but I’m still a newbie at this compared to many here. I will tread lightly in respect to the forum rules. I see over at Rick’s that they post a lot of BISS wildfeeds. Is this for “hey I found this” purposes, or am I missing something? I hope you see where I am going with this as it’s just an information gathering question about the hobby and not looking to violate rules. Thanks guys.

Ricks posts all feeds that pop up. Whether it be watchable or not. Some are in 4:2:2 , which is only watchable on a PC, and others in Biss, other encryptions and some in FTA. Sometimes a specific weekly repeatable feed that is usually biss, 1 in 10 times might be FTA. But, i appreciate that they post the encryption method. That way, i don't waste my time moving my dish and trying to catch the service just to see it. Others just get the thrill of catching a signal that wasn't there. I myself, when i post feeds, like to put whether its DVBs or DVBs2, others leave that out. I do it because my receiver, i have to specifically specify which it is to scan it in. So, to answer your question, they put the encryption method just to give as much detail as possible and let others know that its watchable/not watchable.

Ricks posts all feeds that pop up. Whether it be watchable or not. Some are in 4:2:2 , which is only watchable on a PC, and others in Biss, other encryptions and some in FTA. Sometimes a specific weekly repeatable feed that is usually biss, 1 in 10 times might be FTA. But, i appreciate that they post the encryption method. That way, i don't waste my time moving my dish and trying to catch the service just to see it. Others just get the thrill of catching a signal that wasn't there. I myself, when i post feeds, like to put whether its DVBs or DVBs2, others leave that out. I do it because my receiver, i have to specifically specify which it is to scan it in. So, to answer your question, they put the encryption method just to give as much detail as possible and let others know that its watchable/not watchable.
That’s the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Is there enough 4:2:2 content out there to justify a pc setup? Cost vs return in your opinion.

Reactions: c-spand
Yes to computer, no to capable receiver (Amiko Mini). I was thinking guys were using pcie cards in their computers.
I do wish I could incorporate satellite into my Plex server, but that is a whole other discussion.

That’s the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Is there enough 4:2:2 content out there to justify a pc setup? Cost vs return in your opinion.
:hatsoff
There is not much content. I think the option of having a Enigma2 satellite receiver, and streaming it to your pc is probably the most cost affective. But, you have to have a decent video card to play the 4:2:2... I haven't bothered with a 4:2:2 signal in years...

Reactions: MattFL and FTA4PA
Oh, and there was one other thing i wanted to say. In my experience, 24 hour channels usually use encryption other than biss. But, FEED, temporary services are almost always Biss. I think because Biss is so widely handled by different commercial units. And there might be other royalty issues I'm unaware of that make Biss so universal for temporary feeds.

FEED, temporary services are almost always Biss. I think because Biss is so widely handled by different commercial units. And there might be other royalty issues I'm unaware of that make Biss so universal for temporary feeds.

I think that's probably because BISS is really just like a password, right? So it's not really "scrambling" the feed like other encryption formats. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong :)

For the most part at ricks site they post feeds for the satellite truck guys so they can verify that the signal is up. Once they give that first info of color bars that is fta then they scramble. I. have noticed more and more signals posted and being scrambled. So it sucks for fta folks like us.

I'll add my naive question. (Im NOT trying to hack into a subscription service, I'm a DISH subscriber) I do recall back-in-the day you could put a 6'+ Dish in your back yard and receive all kinds of channels w/o a subscription (I recall these included movies, and Network news down feeds etc) If I took a junk Dish w/ a generic dime store lnb, and aimed it into the sky, would I receive anything (like I've seen in some YouTube videos)? If so would I need some kind of sat set top box to receive it? I presume if there is any programming, it would be oddball stuff like the Canary Islands weather channel or shopping channels. Is there anything out there worth viewing that's not covered by a subscription?

I'll add my naive question. (Im NOT trying to hack into a subscription service, I'm a DISH subscriber) I do recall back-in-the day you could put a 6'+ Dish in your back yard and receive all kinds of channels w/o a subscription (I recall these included movies, and Network news down feeds etc) If I took a junk Dish w/ a generic dime store lnb, and aimed it into the sky, would I receive anything (like I've seen in some YouTube videos)? If so would I need some kind of sat set top box to receive it? I presume if there is any programming, it would be oddball stuff like the Canary Islands weather channel or shopping channels. Is there anything out there worth viewing that's not covered by a subscription?

There's not as much there as there used to be, and hardly anything subscription related that isn't scrambled. You wouldn't even need that large of a dish to get things like PBS, the newsfeeds you mentioned, religious programming, international programming, etc. Lots of music and radio channels.

You'd need a minimum of an 8 foot dish now, preferably 10 foot. I wouldn't even bother with a 6 footer.

Oh. We're speaking the forbidden "e" word.
You a car guy? Until you put a chip in it. Things that aren't apparent in performance would never be discovered.
The feds don't approve. And Cali. will eat you alive now.
How about an audio nut? You can download an SACD but never be able to play it on a music player without the proper codec. Or FLAC. Or many others besides good old .wav files.
Or chip a Playstation and play away.
Same but different. 4:2:2 is meant for broadcasters. Chip manufacturers in the FTA world have to buy the rights to decode that content. External software on the other hand. If someone has the smarts to figure out how to decode it.
Get it? Welcome VLC.
Ricks and BISS feeds. Biss is not actually a password. As far as I know. A piece of software, a "middle man" so to speak. Is needed. Software that takes the form of an actual card you would slip in your older Dish, DirecTV receiver.
Conditional Access Module. Smart Card. The chinabox receivers slip by with adding the software or the capability to add it after purchase. Secret menus. But in essence they are a software cam.
Without them. No amount of passwords would do a thing.
Ricks also has a section for Digicipher. Something that was never broken (as far as I know) after the older Videocipher modules were broken. I actually have one of those in "the pile" with a label and instructions to call
1-900-HOT-SHOT. Interesting. All of the circuitry is buried in Epoxy. But the crafty devils figured out exactly where to mill the top off of a chip off and solder a socket and plug a custom IC into it. Anyway. At times the DCII boxes are able to receive free or promotional pay channels for a short time. All I ever used an old VCII receiver for was to move my dish. But I believe Ricks has a forum for that.
Maybe not 100% correct on everything but close enough the receive the seal of mediocre performance.