Adding a splitter to my Dish setup

llenod

Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
:confused:Ok, so I want to split the signal from a TV 2 from my 722 to go to another TV. I thought it was as easy as going to walmart and buying a simple splitter. Well when I hooked it up, the picture quality on the 3rd TV is really bad, until I turn the 2nd TV off. So there seems to be some sort of feedback going from the 2nd TV to the 3rd TV. Is there anyway to filter this? I tried the seperator too, included with one of my 722's, and that just produces a snowy picture on the 3rd TV. So not sure what I need...

:confused:Ok, so I want to split the signal from a TV 2 from my 722 to go to another TV. I thought it was as easy as going to walmart and buying a simple splitter. Well when I hooked it up, the picture quality on the 3rd TV is really bad, until I turn the 2nd TV off. So there seems to be some sort of feedback going from the 2nd TV to the 3rd TV. Is there anyway to filter this? I tried the seperator too, included with one of my 722's, and that just produces a snowy picture on the 3rd TV. So not sure what I need...
Strange. Have you tried changing the output channel to some other range? Maybe a different frequency would not give that same problem.

Maybe tv3 has issues at that particular channel - or tv2 is putting out something on that frequency. It's worth a try. I don't remember the steps, but it's under the system setup I think.

Couple of things here...

Try switching TV2 and TV3 locations. Does the fuzz follow the TV or stay in the same room?

Could be the TV is outputting voltage, which it shouldn't... but I have seen happen... but 2 more likely problems are:

1. Crappy splitter
2. Crappy cabling going to TV3.... possibly too many breaks or splitters in that particular line are causing too much dB loss.

Where are you putting the splitter anyway?

the seperator is not a 2 way splitter it is designed for DPP technology. For use as a way to seperate the signal from the dish. Check all you ends, if you have a wire braiding wrap this will load down the signal and give you a poor picture. try one Tv at a time until you find the bad wire.

the seperator is not a 2 way splitter it is designed for DPP technology. For use as a way to seperate the signal from the dish. Check all you ends, if you have a wire braiding wrap this will load down the signal and give you a poor picture. try one Tv at a time until you find the bad wire.

or maybe you need a distribution amp like the "super home node". happens.

Sounds to me like it could be bad wiring in the house. I had this problem and traced it down to the power from one plug in the house that had the polarity reversed AND a separate ground. It caused a ground voltage of nearly 20 volts! Though I'm sure the problem is not as severe (because that voltage will fry your TV's RF input), a smaller voltage could cause the problem you are talking about.

See ya
Tony

Hmm
remove the cable from the splitter that is connected to the tv. With the tird tv on, take a voltmeter and touch the positve lead to the conductor and the negative lead to the outside of the connector. The vltage should be zero. if there is volatge on that cable, the tv is backfeeding voltage . Not good. and it could be the reason for the crappy pic.

Do you still have the attenuator(s) that came with your 722's? You can try placing this where the cable goes into TV2, and if you have 2 it shouldn't hurt to do the same to TV3.

:confused:Ok, so I want to split the signal from a TV 2 from my 722 to go to another TV. I thought it was as easy as going to walmart and buying a simple splitter.
Make sure you have a 2-way UHF/VHF splitter and not a VHF-UHF bandpass splitter. The latter will be labeled with separate UHF and VHF ports and is for mixing or separating those signals for old TVs or separate antennas. It should say -3.5 to -4.5 dB to each output from the input (-3.0 would be the ideal). If you use a bandpass, only the UHF leg will work with the Dish output.
-Ken

Thanks everyone for the help. I tried a lot of what was mentioned. Picked up a better splitter, that didn't work. I ended up changing the setup from Air to Cable and setting the channel to 75 and that fixed it. I think I was picking up an OTA signal, and when I turned on the other TV it actually help to amplify that signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)