Adding an OTA antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

phillycreamboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
Well after a lot of research I have found that it is very expensive to pay someone to hookup an antenna here in the Bay area, so I want to attempt to do it on my own. I only have one receiver (a 622) and I want to add an OTA antenna to the mix. Someone told me that the Channel Master 3016 is a good antenna for my area and my needs. I just need to know all the equipment I will need to hook up the antenna, and also the best place to by the parts. Do I have to add any parts i.e. diplexers or do I run the cable straight to the recevier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

phillycreamboy said:
Well after a lot of research I have found that it is very expensive to pay someone to hookup an antenna here in the Bay area, so I want to attempt to do it on my own. I only have one receiver (a 622) and I want to add an OTA antenna to the mix. Someone told me that the Channel Master 3016 is a good antenna for my area and my needs. I just need to know all the equipment I will need to hook up the antenna, and also the best place to by the parts. Do I have to add any parts i.e. diplexers or do I run the cable straight to the recevier. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the CM 3016, but many here in the Bay Area, including myself, have had very good luck with the CM 4228. Even though it's a UHF antenna it works for KNTV on channel 12, too.

The digital signals come from several different locations here... Sutro Tower, Mt. San Bruno - just south of SF, the hills above Fremont, Marin County and Mt. Diablo. Depending on where you live, you might want to install a rotor so that you can point the antenna in the different directions. For what stations are located where, check out the channel list on my web site:
http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html

Also check http://www.antennaweb.org/ - click "Choose An Antenna" and input your address and zip code. You'll get a list of stations and the directions you need to point your antenna. You'll get a map as well.

As for installing the antenna, it should be outside on the roof if possible. It will work a lot better than if it's in the attic. You might have to try different locations to see where you get the best signal strengths. Use RG-6 coax. Connect one end to the antenna and the other end directly to the connector on the back of the 622. You should be able to find all the parts at a local Radio Shack.

The OTA receiver in the 622 is very good, so you should do well with it. With my 4228 and 622 I get all of the stations from Sutro Tower, Mt. San Bruno, Mt. Allison, Monument Peak and Marin - a total of 20 channels. With the sub-channels it comes to a total of 36! 8 of the channels transmit HD!

Larry
SF

After you have the antenna hooked up to the 622, don't forget to have the 622 scan for the channels. Otherwise they won't be added to the guide. Also, in order to get the most guide information, you must be subscribed to Dish's locals package.

Thanks for the input- I checked out the CM 4228 and I noticed that it is a "rectangle" shape. I have noticed in my neighborhood a lot of the "arrow" shaped antennas.
Also could you tell me what kind of mount pole to buy and also a ground kit?

just to throw this in the mix, I did a attic install on my antenna, I live about 30 miles from the towers, went to radio shack, bought an antenna, with some rg6, ran the rg6 down a cold air return to the basement, from their right to the 411, its a nice neat clean install and I get all my locals, plus others!

phillycreamboy... After posting the message to you last night, I thought about this possibility. Depending on where you are in the Bay Area, you might have good luck with an indoor antenna. If you're close enough to the towers or have an unobstructed shot at them, you might save some money and all the work of installing the rooftop antenna.

Go to Best Buy and get the Zenith Silver Sensor and try it first. You might find you don't need anything more than that. It's worked for a lot of folks around here. Open the box carefully and save your receipt. If it doesn't work, return it and buy the outdoor antenna.

A 10 foot mast from Radio Shack is all you need to mount an outdoor antenna, and they can help you with the necessary mounting brackets and such. They even have decent antennas that work fine, but they don't carry the Channel Master antennas.

For a ground, run a heavy guage wire from a clamp on the mast to a clamp on metal water pipe that goes into the ground. RS should have all of this stuff or you can go to Frys, Schads in San Jose, or any local TV shop.

Larry
SF

I just noticed on antennaweb.org that the list it gives me for the "yellow" channels tells me that a small multi direction antenna works best. Are those disk shaped antennas the way to go for me?

phillycreamboy said:
I just noticed on antennaweb.org that the list it gives me for the "yellow" channels tells me that a small multi direction antenna works best. Are those disk shaped antennas the way to go for me?
Everyone's situation is different. The only real way to find out is to try it, see if it works from you. Be sure to purchase from a seller that will allow you to return the item if it does not perform to your satisfaction.

I bought some rabbit ears (RCA amplified) and I get a pretty decent range of channels although I can't get KGO 7 or KBWB 20. But I do get about quite a few others. At Frys they had this TERK antenna that was oblong shaped that can be hung on a wall. I want an antenna that I dont have to adjust are the square shooters like this? I hate the way the metal dipoles look.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)