OTHER Adding Multiple LNBs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

FTARock20

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2019
USA
I currently have a 33 inch dish aimed at 91w. Would it be possible to add more lnbs to receive other satellites? If so, what other satellites could I hit with a dish aimed at 91w, and how would I go about adding these LNBs?

Yes, you can add LNBs to that dish with some success (see my signature for some of the ones I get on 80cm and smaller dishes). You should be able to get 97W without much problem. It is possible that you might not get all the transponders (depending on your location in its footprint) but, for example, I do get all the transponders on 97W on my 75e elliptical with an LNB 6 degrees off centre. Of course, your mileage may vary.

You need to make/acquire a bracket to attach the LNB to (search on multiple LNBs on the forum will bring up some examples of brackets, as well as pointing instructions).

To aim it correctly, looking at the dish from the front, an LNB for 97W will be to the right hand side. As well, if 97W is higher in the sky at your location than 91W, then it goes lower than the LNB at 91W, lower in the sky, then higher (it's all backwards). There will be a gap between the outer edges of the two LNBs of around an inch or so, but you will be able to tell by moving it in small increments.

Due to the size of the dish, 6 degrees off centre will fit comfortably. You could try for 95W (and on the other side for 87W) but the LNBs would have to be crammed against each other, which probably would reduce signal, and may be to unusable levels.

It is all experimentation, and your results may vary from mine, but even if, for example, you only get most of the transponders on 97W, at least you have something extra to watch. Good luck!

While searching for something similar myself recently I came across this site from the UK. Anyone have any experience with their brackets and/or those "narrow" LNBs?
Looks familiar. I may have visited there a few years ago but did not order because of not wanting to ship from overseas. I have since ordered stuff from China so no reason not to order if they appear reputable and shipping is fair. They certainly have a lot of stuff. :D

Here is my setup.

Attachments

• 20170222_170657.jpg
    20170222_170657.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 267
  • Wow
Reactions: jessica6
While searching for something similar myself recently I came across this site from the UK. Anyone have any experience with their brackets and/or those "narrow" LNBs?

The inverto multiconnect LNBs are famous in the Netherlands for high susceptibility to raindrops on the feedhorn: Reception disappears quickly with rain. So at least some kind of LNB-umbrella is needed.
That seems to be a problem with all/most LNBs with narrow feedhorn, AFAIK. Don't know if some are more susceptible than others.
Apart from that, they are fine.

Greetz,
A33

be43eaa2b494cad04bd70f3468401ccc.jpg

My experiment seems to work. The one on the left is a 1.2 m with lnbf’s pointed at 91, 97 and 103. I think the one on the right is .84m with lnbf’s on 95 and 99.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Yes, you can add LNBs to that dish with some success (see my signature for some of the ones I get on 80cm and smaller dishes). You should be able to get 97W without much problem. It is possible that you might not get all the transponders (depending on your location in its footprint) but, for example, I do get all the transponders on 97W on my 75e elliptical with an LNB 6 degrees off centre. Of course, your mileage may vary.

You need to make/acquire a bracket to attach the LNB to (search on multiple LNBs on the forum will bring up some examples of brackets, as well as pointing instructions).

To aim it correctly, looking at the dish from the front, an LNB for 97W will be to the right hand side. As well, if 97W is higher in the sky at your location than 91W, then it goes lower than the LNB at 91W, lower in the sky, then higher (it's all backwards). There will be a gap between the outer edges of the two LNBs of around an inch or so, but you will be able to tell by moving it in small increments.

Due to the size of the dish, 6 degrees off centre will fit comfortably. You could try for 95W (and on the other side for 87W) but the LNBs would have to be crammed against each other, which probably would reduce signal, and may be to unusable levels.

It is all experimentation, and your results may vary from mine, but even if, for example, you only get most of the transponders on 97W, at least you have something extra to watch. Good luck!
Is there any additional advice you would have for both a 10 ft dish as well as a 12 ft dish. We have 3 LNB's per dish. I'm not an engineer but am great at math. The only formula's, for focal point, I can find are for single LNB's. We're struggling here and need to get the boom lift back ASAP without havign to spend another $1200. I'd appreciate any advice you can give! Thank you!!!

Thank you! This was very helpful for our IT Director when tuning our LNB's on our first of 4 satellites. Any other advice would be amazing! Hope all is going well with your experimentation!

Is there any additional advice you would have for both a 10 ft dish as well as a 12 ft dish. We have 3 LNB's per dish. I'm not an engineer but am great at math. The only formula's, for focal point, I can find are for single LNB's. We're struggling here and need to get the boom lift back ASAP without havign to spend another $1200. I'd appreciate any advice you can give! Thank you!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with c-band dishes. If you search on c-band multiple LNBs (or LNBFs) you will find some posts that may help you. However, other than the need for scalars, the positioning of the LNBs is not a lot different than with Ku band LNBs (the bigger the dish the farther apart the LNBs for the same number of degrees). As far as formulas to find the exact position to place an off-centre LNB, I never bothered with it, though I do recall someone on the forum did such calculations (it may have been former member Anole). My method is I know roughly where to place the LNB (distance and height), installed a bracket, and then hand-held the LNB (in a holder) and slowly moved it to peak it, then attached it to the bracket and made adjustments to peak it.

Good luck!

What sizes are your dishes and how did you come up with the focal point, accurately, with the multiple LNB's?

Well, I was in error on the sizes in my first post. More like 1 meter (41 in) for the one on the left and .8 (31 in) on the other.

I had single lnbf’s on each dish so I knew the focal point and just placed the other lnbf’s along side. The hardest part was to get the second lnbf aligned at the correct distance apart and at the correct angle. After that I just added the third lnbf the same distance away for the 4 degree spacing and followed the slope to have the correct angle. It was more trial and error for the second lnbf. After that you can calculate where the next one will go. If you know the second lnbf is 2.5 inches for 4 degrees then the third lnbf will be 5 inches from the primary lnbf for a satellite spaced at 8 degrees away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)