adding receiver to outbuilding

jbo681

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
southern IL
Just found this forum, great resource.

I am a several year dish 522 customer with no major complaints. We are remodeling our house next door to become a pool house and I would like to add my dish service over there. That house is approx 100 feet away. As to upgrading our 522, I'm not sure if necessary. The new hookup would be for a single tv DVR. I'd bury the cable myself.

I'm interested in what options to expect, if any, before I call. I would much prefer using my existing satellite than pay a duplicate fee for a place that will not be used regularly.

Thanks to any for suggestions.

Is that house next door on a separate addressed property? Even if you own it it needs it's own separate subscription account....

yes to separate mailing address. we recently bought to expand our property. I can understand a policy of not allowing such a connection to help avoid fraud but was hoping. I appreciate the info.

Well, heck. If you own adjacent properties, why isn't this equivalent to any other outbuilding on the same property? I think the OP could run a receiver over there on the same account and at least abide by the spirit of the Dish agreement, if not the letter. Going to the trouble of legally combining the two properties into one address, just to satisfy the letter of the Dish agreement, seems to me to be rather much to ask of property owners.

separate power meters?
if yes then you could have issues with current feeding back through the cable from one system to the other.
This could cause a host of problems and in some cases be potentially dangerous.
if this is the case I would use two dishes

I think you need to worry about the more likely unlikely problem and that is lightning. (yes even on buried cables)

Be sure the Dish system is grounded to code on the house end and then install another ground block where the cable enters the out building.

Well, heck. If you own adjacent properties, why isn't this equivalent to any other outbuilding on the same property? I think the OP could run a receiver over there on the same account and at least abide by the spirit of the Dish agreement, if not the letter. Going to the trouble of legally combining the two properties into one address, just to satisfy the letter of the Dish agreement, seems to me to be rather much to ask of property owners.

If I own a duplex, two separate addresses on a single property, two meters, etc, I would have to have two subs. There is no difference here with adjoining properties that have the same ownership.

My workshop is several hundred feet away from house. I have a separate dish and receiver out there. I was never asked which building or which room any of my receivers were going to be used in when i called to activate them, so i didn't feel obligated to provide any additional information.

Find someone in your area like myself who will install another dish setup "under the table" at the other building. When you install dishes for a few years you tend to collect alot of stuff for your own personnel inventory. I hook people up all the time(for a small fee) with installs saving them the stress of having to deal with Dish!

I hadn't considered the grounding issue. Both houses are presently metered separately and appropriately grounded. Would grounding the cable at each end be sufficient to take care of that potential problem? As to the best option, I'd simply extend a cable split from TV2 line and run to the pool house since I can only watch in one place at a time. Figuring out how to extend the remote signal would be the next challenge. I'm talking about a place that's used a few hours per week and many weeks with no activity so would like to not have added charge for something so little used. To enjoy my 522 from my present system at the pool house seems like the ideal set up for me, If there was ever a time where that house would be occupied more then a separate account and dish would be more appropriate. I want frugal but not to create new problems. Thanks again for the input.

Now, the coax between the two properties as an extension of TV2 makes much more sense. This, IMHO, does not go against Dish policy because your receivers, themselves, are on the same property. Just how far, in distance, would that coax go? You may run into some resistance problems there. If you go this route, may I suggest that you place that coax in conduit. The trench is the expensive part, conduit is cheap. This makes any replacement, or addition, much easier in the future.

Yea Bobby, that's kind of what I'd like to believe. The conduit would be no problem as the cable would run along the pool fence and away from hazards. In total I'm looking at a 100 feet extension. That still leaves me questioning the grounding issue and uhf remote extension. I understand ordering a new account for the pool house is the best way to go but that means a commitment to a monthly charge for something rarely used. I know, cry me a river. I'm hoping to follow the same logic with my internet connection by putting a wired extension at the pool house for that rare occasion there is a need for internet. Whatever the decision will result in better quality and lower cost than the cable connection that was left by previous owners and continued by me for the short term.

Looking around on this site, I see an option to extend the uhf anteana via cable so I could change channels at the new location. i guess this is the next challenge and of course to make sure I don't compromise the grounding of the electrical systems.

Consider several RG-6 cables in the conduit. One for each tuner (easier in some cases than DPP and carries farther), one for remote, one for an antenna. It is against the contract. Ignore the DPP as you are talking RF, not satellite.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)