Status
Please reply by conversation.

Big_Ed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Athol, MA
Hi all,

I spend a good deal of summer time in my garage, which is about 100 feet from my house. I'm toying with the idea of setting up a TV out there so I can catch Red Sox games this summer. A little plasma or LCD hi-def guy...I figure if I'm going to do it then I should do it right!

Given the layout, it makes more sense to install a separate dish on the garage, rather than run a line from the house. My question is this...

I know with certainty that I won't be watching any other channel out there except NESN-HD. (All my normal TV watching will be in the house.) Anyway, I have an old dish kicking around somewhere (gotta locate it, can't recall which model it is) and I was wondering if it might work given that I only plan to watch one station? Or will I need to buy a 5LNB dish along with the H20 HD receiver?

Thanks!

Isn't NESN-HD an Mpeg-4 channel? If so then yes you need a 5lnb dish and the H20.

My AT9 (5LNB) is on my garage roof. I ran a line into the garage and have it hooked up to a small TV and an older D10 receiver.

I ran three coax cables 30 feet back to the house for the in-house receivers.

With that said, if you have capacity for an extra line off the dish, just run it back to your garage. I bet it'll work fine.

With that said, if you have capacity for an extra line off the dish, just run it back to your garage. I bet it'll work fine.

Probably would, but I'm thinking installing a new dish will be easier than digging a 100+ foot long trench to run a line!

Chances are you will need a 5 LNB dish then.

Chances are you will need a 5 LNB dish then.

Ok, thanks.

Now a follow up. This is probably a dumb question, but I can't find the answer by searching...:confused:

Whereas I'm only going to watch one channel, my assumption would be that I only need to receive the signal from one satellite. If this is so, why wouldn't a single LNB dish do it?

I'm sure there's a really simple answer that I'm overlooking. It doesn't even matter that much, just curious!

Ok, thanks.

Now a follow up. This is probably a dumb question, but I can't find the answer by searching...:confused:

Whereas I'm only going to watch one channel, my assumption would be that I only need to receive the signal from one satellite. If this is so, why wouldn't a single LNB dish do it?

I'm sure there's a really simple answer that I'm overlooking. It doesn't even matter that much, just curious!

The lnb for ku sats which are the mpeg2 ones, and the ka sats, the mpeg4 ones, are different. I don't know of a single lnb dish that will pick up the mpeg4 sats, at least not one that Directv uses.

The lnb for ku sats which are the mpeg2 ones, and the ka sats, the mpeg4 ones, are different. I don't know of a single lnb dish that will pick up the mpeg4 sats, at least not one that Directv uses.

Yeah what he said. ^

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts