Adding SWM to a non-SWM 5 LNB slimline dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fripp

Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I’m trying to figure out what I need to go SWM with my current setup.

I currently have a non-SWM 5 LNB slimline dish (circa late-2007) hooked up to 2 HR-20’s (one with dual coax ins (main viewing area), one with a single coax in (secondary viewing area).

The reason I want to convert my setup to SWM is this: The installer rand the 2nd coax line (for the primary HR-20) so that cable is strung around the exterior, very haphazardly and had to drill into the side of house to give me that 2nd line for the dual tuner. It was meant to me a temporary solution for me, as I knew that a better solution would come down the pike. I’m only now discovering SWM as a possible solution to get rid of that second wire.

Since I doubt I can talk DirecTV into coming out and installing a new SWM Slim line dish for me – I thought I could do it myself with one of the kits on ebay (or anywhere else recommended). I am (of course) looking for the cheapest, easiest solution. I do not need legacy ports and I do not need ota.

A lot of them seem to be SL3 3 LNB kits (these seem to be priced better as well). I’m confused though, since I thought that all dishes needed to be of the 5 LMB type to get all the HD channels? EDIT: I believe that the 5 LNBs are only needed for 110 & 119 which are just for international and some locals. It looks like my Indianapolis locals are on 101? Does this mean that I could I use a SL3 kit with my setup?

• Is there a better solution?
  • Is it dificult to change out LMBs/ install the SWM hardware?
  • What else do I need to be aware of?
Tanks in advance for your assistance,

Josh

Last edited:
If all of your receivers are SWM capable, then either the SWM SL3 or SL5 LNBs will work just fine. It seems that you could use the SL3 LNB. It should just be a simple swap of the current 5LNB unit with the SWM SL3 one, if your dish is the AU9. If you have the AT9 (aka sidecar), then you need a new dish as well.

Solidsignal sells everything you'll need.

The SL3 is what you need. Just swap the LNB. Be careful not to move the dish. Remove any BBCs. Redo the satellite setup on the receivers. Done.

Thanks a ton jdspencer, peano! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I googled images of the AU9 and AT9, and I definitely have the non-sidecar AU9.

Are there any performance issues with using SWM vs dual cable?

Thanks again for the assist!

Josh

I've personally made the switch from a vanilla AU9 to "Slimline 5" without any issues.

If you're 100% sure on your locals being on 101, then the SL3 is a winner.

Hancox,
I am getting my info about my Indy locals being on 101 from this (Indy is #26 DMA):

DIRECTV Local Channels by DMA Ranking

Do you know if this is accurate and up to date? Is there another place I can go to confirm that Indianapolis locals are indeed on 101?

Also, does anyone know of a specific Satguys topic with instructions for a retrofit/install of a SWM-3? I have been searching, but can't find any topics dealing with the instal, specifically.

Thanks again,

Josh

That chart is most certainly NOT 100% right - it has the Hartford/New Haven locals on 101 as well, when they've been on 119 since inception (I think).

That being said, I checked what I consider to be a better source:

Local channels - Indiana - LyngSat

Looks like your locals are indeed on 101, so you should be all set.

(and for reference, here is the CT listing from the same site, which I believe to be correct:
Local channels - Connecticut - LyngSat)

as for the install, it couldn't be easier.

1) Remove the holding bolts and coax cables from the AU9 5 LNB.
2) Slide the LNB off
3) Replace with new LNB (making sure you attach your one true "home run" cable to the single coax output from the new LNB)
4) Replace the holding bolts
5) Re-do your satelllite setup for the new 3LNB - this will differ somewhat, depending on which box you're hooking up, and software version. Let us know which one, if you need the step-by-step.

It's a 15 minute job, if that.

Wow -- Above and beyond, hancox. Thanks a ton.

I will be hooking up 2 HR20s. I will update the software prior to adding the new SWM/LNB. I'll let you know how it goes.

And a sincere thanks again to everyone here for the great info.

J

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts