Adding time to a timer on 508

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Sometimes when I have a timer going, I would like to pad the time it turns off (especially during the NASCAR race). How can you do that?
I tried to go into the timers and manually add it. But at the time it was suppose to go off (lets say it was set at 6:30, and I pad it to 7:30..at 6:30) the record light goes off. But if I try to change the channel, it says the "You cant do this because you're recording" yet the record light is off.

How the heck do I extend a timer of something that is already recording??

Iceberg said:
Sometimes when I have a timer going, I would like to pad the time it turns off (especially during the NASCAR race). How can you do that?
I tried to go into the timers and manually add it. But at the time it was suppose to go off (lets say it was set at 6:30, and I pad it to 7:30..at 6:30) the record light goes off. But if I try to change the channel, it says the "You cant do this because you're recording" yet the record light is off.

How the heck do I extend a timer of something that is already recording??

Interesting question. Have you tried editing the end time of the currently running timer ?

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
Interesting question. Have you tried editing the end time of the currently running timer ?

NightRyder

yep. Tried it yesterday as a test...I set a timer to run from 8:25 to 8:30. Once it started, I went into the timer screen and manually changed the end time to 8:35. At 8:30 the record light went off, but if I tried to change the channel, it gave me the "you cant do this unless you stop recording" thing.

Never had a problem with the 5000 doing this. The 301 wouldn't shut off when the timer was suppose to be done, so that didnt matter (the VCR was programmed)

Iceberg said:
yep. Tried it yesterday as a test...I set a timer to run from 8:25 to 8:30. Once it started, I went into the timer screen and manually changed the end time to 8:35. At 8:30 the record light went off, but if I tried to change the channel, it gave me the "you cant do this unless you stop recording" thing.

Never had a problem with the 5000 doing this. The 301 wouldn't shut off when the timer was suppose to be done, so that didnt matter (the VCR was programmed)
When you tried recording to 8:35 did it continue recording even with the light off or did it actually stop recording at 8:30 and just put up the message?

boba said:
When you tried recording to 8:35 did it continue recording even with the light off or did it actually stop recording at 8:30 and just put up the message?

don't know..have to try it to tonight
The message only came up after I tried to change the channel

I generally just set a timer for the next show on that channel. Of course, I have a dual-tuner box, so I miss nothing while the changeover occurs (due to padding).

I have added time to the end of a currently running timer on several different occasions and I did not have any problems at all. The show just kept recording, and the timer stopped at the new time that I set.

I have a 501, but I thought that the software was supposed to work the same for the 508. I have not had to do this lately, I hope that this did not get screwed up with one of the software revisions. If I have time I will try it again.

I'm going to try to pad something tonight and see if it records even though the record light goes off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)