ADIOS DISH

paja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Orland Park, IL
After 20 months of DISH service, I must say ADIOS DISH. Up until my 18 month commit was over I had almost no problems with DISH and was satisfied with the hd pq and channel selection. I had a 622 which serviced two televisions I have on my second floor. In my downstairs family room I had a 211. After the 18 month was up I called to inquire about getting a second hd dvr for my family room. The csr offered me a 612 but wanted a 2 year commit. I really didn't want to commit for that long. I took a pass for the time being.

About two weeks later a rep from AT&T comes to my door announcing UVERSE availablity in my neighborhood. The four tv dvr really peaked my interest. I had tv with DISH ( also All American for distants), internet with Comcast , and phone with AT&T totaling 245 a month. AT&T packaged tv,internet, and phone for 186. Then they gave me 14 off a month for a year, an additional 20 off for 6 months, 3 free months of hd programming , another 10 off for 6 months and 100 cash back. The television was the everything package(400) with hd. Has many channels that DISH doesn't carry. DISH has a few more hd but all the ones I watch AT&T has. Free installtion and NO CONTRACT OR COMMITMENT.

Had UVERSE installed and I'm beyond satisfied. The hd dvr is a dream machine. Have the dvr in my family room but I can watch the recorded shows on any of my now 4 tv's. Very easy to program. The hd pq is the same as DISH but the sd is much better. Not the soft muted pq I had with DISH. I did have an issue with my phone after the installer left. I called and a tech was at my door 9am the next morning and took care of the problem.

When I called DISH to cancel they asked me why I was leaving. After explaining the several reasons to a csr( bad csr's was another issue) she sent me to a cancellation csr. Now they try and offer me incentives to stay. He tells me they will give me a 612 with only a one year commit and ten dollars off a month. I laughed. Sorry Charley, too little, too late. ADIOS DISH:wave:wave:wave

Yes, the "4 TV DVR" that can only provide either 4SD channels or 2 HD channels at one time max with about half the HDD capacity of Dish HD STB's, and, if recall correctly, True HD is only at the first TV, the remaining TV's are sent SD ONLY. I know this is also the case with Dish, BUT Dish does have the 612 4TV solutions for true HD at all 4 TV's. ATT might work for you, but, so far, it doesn't come close to my needs, and Fios wants 3 to 4 times the DVR fee Dish charges, and that is for one HD box. I like the FiOS and and even the AT&T technology, it is the pricing that is the deal breaker: Dish is still the superior value. I do wish AT&T and FiOS would have far more competitive pricing on the STB fees, etc.

Does UVerse do more than one HD television in a household?

The current "4 TV" DVR is limited to either 4 SD channels or 2 HD channels. That may work for some households, but not for this one. With 2 of us, each is usually tuned to or recording 2 HD channels per box at the same time, meaning our 2 HD DVR's togethervare tuned to at least a grand total of 4 HD channels, sometimes 5 HD at one time counting the OTA tuner. Guests sometimes view SD channels from an SD box while all this recording is going on. The channels she has always loved are now in HD, and the channels I have always watched are now in HD, as well. Uverse and Fios technology along with the very high pricing just won't work for us. I do want more competition, but for now Dish is still the best value.

Some of us do. Others have been refused.

It would be nice if you can get U-Verse internet separate from the tv bundle.

I accomplished this by singing up for UVerse TV and internet and then cancelling the TV portion after a month or so. They let me keep the UVerse internet. I pay $35 per month for 6/1 mbps down/up and am very happy with the service. Your mileage may vary...

Well all I can say is good luck. The Tv part of Uverse seems to keep people satisfied if they are not to concerned about HD. The phone and internet seems to have alot of problems. I have changed atlest 15 people back to Dish after all the problems they had with Uverse.

Bleah... I have had access to U-verse for nearly a year. The HD offerings keep me away. I have two HDTV's. Two tuners are not enough.

I have access to Dish, Direct, Time Warner Cable and U-verse. The only one tempting me to leave Dish right now is Direct.

Well all I can say is good luck. The Tv part of Uverse seems to keep people satisfied if they are not to concerned about HD. The phone and internet seems to have alot of problems. I have changed atlest 15 people back to Dish after all the problems they had with Uverse.

I have had only one small problem with the phone which was taken care of by a tech the next day. I know of three homes within a block of me that have dropped E & D since U-verse in now available. The whole home dvr for me is even better than my old 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)