Adjusting image up or down on 811

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I have the dreaded white lines on CBS & NBC OTA digital channels. They appear between top of image & black bars(black bars are on all 4 sides of image). Are the bars on all 4 sides from the networks or the 811? The top bar is bigger than the bottom bar, is there a way to raise the image up to even them out? If I could, I wouldn't see the white lines. Please help me.

You can adjust the picture placement on the most HDTV's. It's in the setup menu and it only applies to DVI inputs on my tv. Also I can't expand it, I can just move it up/down/left/right. I had to bump mine up a couple notches to make the caller ID info show on the tv without being cutoff.

Also, I thought there was a menu in the 811 to adjust picture too.

Gary Pen, white lines

I'm using component input, I don't have DVI on my Mitsubishi 55807. Does anyone know how to adjust the image with the 811? When it was installed, I THINK installer had to adjust image. Please help me.

Jim,

I'm going to echo what Gary said... your description of what you are viewing (black bars on the sides and the top) sounds as if you are watching your OTA channels over the composite or svideo output.

I don't ever see black bars on the top/bottom of OTA channels unless I switch to composite/or Svideo. (unless I set the 811 to 4:3 mode and set it to a windowbox stretch mode).

The 811's image can only be moved left/right.

Make sure on the HDTV setup screen (menu, 6, 1, 9) that you have the TV set to 16:9 aspect ratio for your mitsubishi. And you do know the * key cycles through the various stretch modes, right?

If you do this and you are still seeing black bars on the top and the bottom, you may want to look at having the geometry of your set adjusted.

How do you move the image left and right? What if a 16:9 image does not fill the screen, when the signal comes from the 811, whether OTA or sat signal, BUT does fill the screen thru the TV's on board tuner? What if this anomaly (image shrunk 5% left, 2% bottom and marginally top and right) occurs on three different brands and 4 different technologys?

toto said:
How do you move the image left and right? What if a 16:9 image does not fill the screen, when the signal comes from the 811, whether OTA or sat signal, BUT does fill the screen thru the TV's on board tuner? What if this anomaly (image shrunk 5% left, 2% bottom and marginally top and right) occurs on three different brands and 4 different technologys?

If it is occuring on 3 different brands and 4 different technologies, it isn't an anomaly. Sounds like it working with the built in tuner is the anomaly.

Sounds like the geometry was adjust to match that of the on-board tuner. You will probably need to go into service mode and adjust it to match what the 811 is putting out.

There is a left-right adjustment on the HD setup screen (menu-6-1-9)

Why did the sets work properly and a few others, as well, since 12 of 03, while using the same receiver and connections, then change as of last Saturday? 2 of the sets can shift images in regular menu, but it is a reduced image Size and all of the sets are showing 5% left, 2% bottom and fringe on the other sides. This morning all was well for 30 minutes and then when reverted back when i touched the 811 remote.

Ah... so it was working correctly and then stopped? That's a horse of a different color.... I don't know! Have you tried to do a hard reboot of the 811?

Thanks, that's words to my ears. When you're old a gray, you enjoy, but forget the simple pleasures of life, like a hard reboot.

White dashing lines on image

I tried the reboot, it worked temporarily until I changed channels and returned to NBC or CBS OTA digital. I get bars on all four sides of image on only 3 OTA digital channels(ABC, NBC, CBS). And as I stated I'm running component video. It must be the way these 3 Milwaukee networks are broadcasting. Fox is still analog, and PBS does not give me the bars on sides of image, and it is digital also. I'll have to call the networks next. Thanks.

PBS national HD feed is 16:9 24/7. Networks are normally only 16:9 when broadcasting in HD (other than recorded shows the clue would be "where available in HDTV') You may see black bars on all four sides on a 16:9 set when the network is broadcasting a letterboxed 4:3 image. This normally is in ads both for product and for network programming.

The 811 has a problem. 10 second hold fixed it. If it happens again i've been told to return unit.

snathanb, white line

When I try to adjust image on menu 6-1-9, nothing happens no matter which arrows I hit. Any ideas?

Jim,

Gosh, I'm at a loss... the two things you describe

1) bars all around OTA channels
2) image that doesn't move with the "adjust" menu

Only happen on my 811 when I am viewing over composite or svideo.

When you are watching a regular satellite channel, are you able to change the picture size using the "*" key? You should see the text in the title bar cycle between normal, zoom, partial zoom, full zoom and gray bar. The image should change size, as well.

If you are not on an HD output, the text will change, but the image will stay the same size.. try that so we can firmly rule out the possibility that you accidently have the TV on the wrong input.

snathanb, bars

When I'm watching a regular satellite channel, I CANNOT change picture size by pushing * key. I think the problem may be with my VCR hookup, but I have to pull TV out to verify. When viewing from sat. receiver, I also need power on VCR to be on. If I recall, the VCR's S-video cord goes to back of TV. Does this sound right? Should S-video cord be hooked up from sat. receiver to VCR? Thanks.

Routing the signal through the VCR should not be a problem.

Does anything at all happen when you hit the * key?

I'm not familiar with the 811, but on the 921, the program banner tells you what format it's using - it should change every time you hit the * key.

JimMcC said:
When I'm watching a regular satellite channel, I CANNOT change picture size by pushing * key. I think the problem may be with my VCR hookup, but I have to pull TV out to verify. When viewing from sat. receiver, I also need power on VCR to be on. If I recall, the VCR's S-video cord goes to back of TV. Does this sound right? Should S-video cord be hooked up from sat. receiver to VCR? Thanks.

It sounds like you are watching TV on the input your VCR goes to. In that case, that would explain why:

1) you are getting black bars
2) you can't adjust the picture size
3) you have to turn the VCR on.

The svideo cord should be hooked from the 811 to the vcr, but only for the purposes of recording/playing back something you taped.

You need to switch your TV to the component input to benefit from the 811, without doing that, everything will be in SD. All the issues you mentioned are from you watching over the non-HD outputs.

I downloaded the manual for your TV. The "input" button on your remote should cycle through all the inputs. You should be looking for "component 1" or "component 2" depending upon which port your installer connected the component cables to. However, your TV has a feature that allows inputs to be turned off, so that they are "skipped" when the input button is hit, if you are using them. So, you may need to go to menu->input assignments on the mitsu and make sure they are turned on. On the manual I downloaded, it's on page 31.

Here is a link to the manual if you need it... it is over 7 MB.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/PDFs/V17.pdf.zip

SimpleSimon said:
I'm not familiar with the 811, but on the 921, the program banner tells you what format it's using - it should change every time you hit the * key.

Same on the 811.. but essentially he's watching 811 over the SVIDEO outputs.. would explain all his problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)