ADS-B with a Dongle SDR

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
You can use a dongle-SDR along with ADSB# and ADSB Scope to track planes in your area. These aren't the only programs available, but I have found the above to do a great job. Using only a discone I can see planes with GPS out to about 100 miles. Adding an in-line preamp improves my range. A better antenna is a transposed coaxial collinear antenna easily made out of RG/6, same coax used for FTA.

Before going ahead with all this, tune your dongle to 1090 MHz, you should see the signal if it is strong enough. Even that little antenna that comes with the dongle might work, but an outside antenna will work better.

Attached are screenshots, one of ADSB Scope in action, and the other is the transposed coaxial collinear antenna. This antenna is superior to all I have tried. Works great even at ground level. Or even near a window if you can't put up outside antennas.

Check out YouTube for this antenna, some guy shows you how to make one. No soldering. But seal it in 1/2" PVC to prevent moisture from getting in.

Sponge

Attachments

• ads-b scope.jpg
    ads-b scope.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 259
  • adsb6.JPG
    adsb6.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)