Ads Taking Over Sat. Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only seem to notice that with Firefox, not Chrome. I think I mentioned in this thread (on phone as I type this so it's not as easy to check). On FF, it was a CONSTANT reloading. I was logged in and I'm a Pub member too...

Is that an actual THREAT? I think that comes under the heading of Extortion, and you shouldn't say things like that. I think you should let Scott speak for himself.

NO site that I'm aware of stops people using ad-blockers from coming there. All that would accomplish is this site getting an even worse reputation. I personally do NOT believe Scott would block people in that situation.

Just my opinion...
In the past, he's added a pop-up window or maybe a re-direct page when an ad-blocker was detected. It was more to annoy the person as it only was a delay (it said you're using one, why you shouldn't, etc) then you too the page you were going to before. It was temporary too...

Other sites do it permanently and shine make you "x" the window away.

I am a Pub member and the google analytics thing just keeps running regardless of what I do. I hope Scott checks into this and can fix the offender. It seems to not be loading now that my ad-block is turned on for this site. I do not want to impact the $$ this site takes in for ads, but lets get real here, Usability is what most of us want. With the google analytics thing constantly loading data and taking up my bandwidth as well as this site's bandwidth, something has to give.

I have performed full scans for malware and such and come up clean. the problem is with this site.

I will renew my Pub membership when it comes due, but I truly hope that this can be resolved.

Ice, thanks as always for the added insight and affirmation that it is not just me.

I have been working on this over the past 2 hours and have not been able to replicate it on my two machines.

Logged in using non pub member and pub member test accounts.

Machine One is running Windows 10, with the Edge Browser, Chrome, Safari and Firefox.
Machine two is a Macbook Pro, with Chrome, Firefox and Safari.

For Analytics settings there is only one setting and that setting is where you put in your Analytics site number. Everything else is built in to the forum software.

For pub members having this issue I would suggest clearing your cache and seeing if that helps. For registered members who are not pub members part of this could be happening due to the ads that refresh in an iframe.

I have also turned off a few of the live features such as the list on the main forums listing which refreshes when a new post is posted... and the feature which pops up a red number in the browser tab whenever you have a new private message. Other than that I am out of ideas for the moment.

Try looking for something called i.creativecommons.org .
Was taking the morning run thru the forums and all was working fine,then for no apparent reason that started.
Get connecting to/connected to/and waiting for,activity indicator keeps spinning but eventually stops,30/45 seconds or so.
If you hit refresh it will start again.

edit;
Turned the ad blocker off and the creative thing went away,just the normal ads loading and such.
Turned the blocker back on and the ads went away and creative came back,just sitting and spinning.
Note the regular ads only take a couple of seconds to load and the activity indicator only runs on the initial loading.
This is with Vista/Palemoon(FF variation) and Ghostery.
Whether any of this is any help I don't know.:biggrin

That was actually a big help. i.creativecommons.org is our Copyright Agent.

I copied the image it was trying to load and put it on our server so no more call to creativecommons. :D (I updated SatelliteGuys Default, still need to do the rest) :D

Thanks!

Reactions: TheKrell
Scott, have you ever looked at Braintree payments integration for the site? I'm not sure if they're part of PayPal or what, but they handle multiple payment options for both web and Apps.

And, hey, sign up with a TWiT reference and get $50,000 of transactions fee-free. After that, it's 2.9% of the transaction amount. Works with Android Pay, Apple Pay, BitCoin, Venmo, PayPal, and CCs. https://www.braintreepayments.com/features

Braintree will work with your existing PayPal account. Several scripting languages are supported (Ruby, PHP, node.js, Java, Python, and .NET). It looked pretty slick but it might violate your hosting agreement since it would turn this site into a e-Commerce site.

and the feature which pops up a red number in the browser tab whenever you have a new private message.

If that proved not to be the culprit, could we turn that one back on? I kinda liked that feature, since it also worked for alerts, such as posts in watched threads! :)

I turned off Ad-Block and the problem continued with Google-Analytics. I have installed Ghostery and the problem went away once i enabled all the blocking. I will play with allowing some until I can find a happy medium. I show 5 active tracker type things, Google Adsense, Google Analytics, PageFair, Quantcast, and Viglink.

Can anyone tell me which are necessary for this site to gain the revenue? I am leaning towards NOT allowing Google-Analytics as it is just messing with me.

Each ad network we use requires us to use different things. Pulsepoint and Burst require us to use Quantcast, When big companies want to advertise they look at Quantcast numbers to see which sites they want their ads on.

Google Adsense requires us to run Analytics so that our traffic can be verified and thus we get better advertisers through them. Analytics also give us all kinds of real time data on the site which is helpful for the operation of the site. Google Adsense are the ads that we run from Google. For pub members Google Adsense ads are whats shown in the top right of the screen and is the only add Pub Members see. The only reason we run that one ad for pub members is so it makes it look like we have more traffic to Google, otherwise those users would not be counted. With higher traffic count the better quality advertisers.

Pagefair is something new we have been running for the past month that shows and ad to those who are running ad blockers. Problem with the ads they show is we don't get paid for displaying them we only get paid if someone clicks on them. And in looking at our stats so far in the past 21 days since adding them they have raised 21 cents in revenue. https://pagefair.com/ With only 13 cents in a month you will probably see this one go away soon. :D

Viglink is not a tracker but ads our affiliate id to links to products that are posted here to SatelliteGuys. We earn anywhere from $20 - $90 a month because of Viglink, You can find out more about Viglink from https://www.viglink.com/?vgref=5900

And that's what everything is. :)

Pagefair is something new we have been running for the past month that shows and ad to those who are running ad blockers.
Is that part of the "acceptable ads" thing that AdBlock recently started taking part in ? AdBlock gets paid for allowing them but the website that they end up on does not ! That's a great deal for them, huh ? :eeek

I wondered about that. AdBlock popped up a tab that I had never seen before. Led me into settings on AdBlock I hadn't played with. I'm still not sure what the story with it is.

Over on TWiT they've talked about uBlock Origin as a URL Firewall. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on Safari...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)