Ads that hijack the entire page!

Status
Not open for further replies.

polksda

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
Urbana, IL
I realize that SG has to make money from ads, but full page ads that hijack the browser go too damned far!

I came here to check a thread and before I even had a chance to login, I was whisked away to a page with some crappy BlueApple ad about banning smoking in restaurants. I was forced to sit there for 10 seconds (NO WAY TO MANUALLY BYPASS THIS CRAP AND GO TO THE FORUM!) and then I was NOT redirected back to the forum (Firefox 3).

I hit the back button on my browser, and after it started to reload the forum page, it immediately redirected me back to the ad page again!

I had to play a damned whack-a-mole game with the stop button in the browser trying to time it just right so that the forum login fully displayed, but before I was redirected away.

Banner ads? Fine.

Skyscraper ads? Fine.

Text ads? Fine.

Ads that ACTIVELY INTERFERE with using the site? NOT FINE!!

That's the type of crap that will make me leave a site and never come back.

I cannot tell you how pissed I am at the moment.

Its just like Radio , If you don't want adds, Buy satellite Radio and pay $13 per month.
If you don't want adds on satellite guys Pay $19.99 per year and they will go away.
Become a Pub Member /supporter

Its just like Radio , If you don't want adds, Buy satellite Radio and pay $13 per month.
If you don't want adds on satellite guys Pay $19.99 per year and they will go away.
Become a Pub Member /supporter

I had the same ad happen to me and I am a paying member. It happened before I could log in.

everytime I encounter something offensive like that, I track down where it's served from, and it gets added as an empty dns zone in my server, or as 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file.

Never had that problem with Opera either. I/E blows. Get a browser that is designed for the end user, not for M$ and any script kiddy out there to have a back door into your Windows based box.

The is one ad in the syndicated system that is doing that. I have already contacted the ad company and told them to remove it.

I do not like popups, popovers etc..

I first saw it yesterday coming to the site on my iPhone and I was irate when I saw it.

It will be gone soon.

I understand that SG has to pay the bills, so the ads are fine. But I agree when the ones take up the whole page, it sucks. I tried to login from my mobile, and I about threw the damn thing. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts