Advantage of dual tuner ?

ajay

Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
I am thinking of switching to dish (from cable). Before I do that ,I want to be sure ,how much I will be charged per month.

I am thinking of going for a 3 TV setup. I need only 1 DVR - (I have 2 replaytvs).
Am I correct in assuming the monthly charge of $10 (plus the monthly programming fee depending on the package) is the same for a 3 TV (with 522 & 301) and a 4TV setup (with 522 & 322).
If it is correct, I might as well go for the 4 TV setup,getting an additional hookup in the guest bedroom
what are the pros and cons of getting a dual tuner receiver - 522 or 322 ? Can I save $5 per month on it instead of getting 2 single tuner receivers. If so ,why not everyone is doing it ? or is there any catch ?

I am a newbie ?

The catch:

It's currently only available for DHA (Digital Home Advantage) customers. You save that extra fee to pay this one.. rental fee for the box. $4.99.. still an overall savings, but it's a rental.

No real catch for the person starting out... unless your house is prewired.. that's another story.

Why everyone doesn't have one (and believe me, I want one.. right now I'm on the PC because my gal's show is recording, and I can't sit through the Swan without begging for mercy).. it's because Dish isn't making them available for existing customers, or non-DHA new customers.

While that is true, they also include the rental of the first receiver for the same price that non-DHA customer pay for programming, essentially offsetting the cost of the locals.

I have seen repeatedly in other web sites and digital home advantage plan flyers that the locals will be deducted from the price of the dha plan if they are not available in your area. The whole reason why they include the locals in the price is a marketing gimmic. They are trying to sound like cable with the locals being added to the price of the basic programming. Cable always says they give you locals for no extra price and Dish is trying to say the same. The small print in the flyers tell you that if no locals in your area the price will be 24.99 a month for the top 60 ,the same $5.00 price break for top 120/180. Call Dish for clarification .

ajay said:
I am thinking of going for a 3 TV setup. I need only 1 DVR - (I have 2 replaytvs).
Am I correct in assuming the monthly charge of $10 (plus the monthly programming fee depending on the package) is the same for a 3 TV (with 522 & 301) and a 4TV setup (with 522 & 322).
If it is correct, I might as well go for the 4 TV setup,getting an additional hookup in the guest bedroom
what are the pros and cons of getting a dual tuner receiver - 522 or 322 ? Can I save $5 per month on it instead of getting 2 single tuner receivers. If so ,why not everyone is doing it ? or is there any catch ?

I am a newbie ?

With Digital Home Advantage, you can set up three TV's with DVR using a 522 and a 311. The 522 will have the capability of recording on TV1 while watching another channel on TV2 and vice-versa. The price for 3 or 4 rooms is the same and you are looking at an addition $9.97 per month for the second receiver and the VOD fee for the DVR. You would be getting the 522 and the 322. Only drawback I see is the fact that there will be an additional outlet installed for the backfeed from the 522 and the 322 (2 more). Should you sign up for the Everything Pack programming package, the VOD fee is waived.

Fortunately, we do get local channels here - so that is not an issue.

But I am still confused with the pricing. Correct me if I am wrong.

For new customers with DHA -with America 120 package + locals ($39.99)

1). 3 TVs (1 DVR) - 522/301 = $10 ($5 for VOD and $5 for 2nd receiver-301) . Total = $50 per month.

2). 4 TVs (1 DVR) - 522/322 = $10 ($5 for VOD and $5 for 2nd receiver-322). Total = $50.

(I am under the impression ,there is no monthly charge for the 1st receiver.)

3)With dual tuner DVR (522) - the VOD function is available from only 1 TV. Right ?

ajay said:
Fortunately, we do get local channels here - so that is not an issue.

But I am still confused with the pricing. Correct me if I am wrong.

For new customers with DHA -with America 120 package + locals ($39.99)

1). 3 TVs (1 DVR) - 522/301 = $10 ($5 for VOD and $5 for 2nd receiver-301) . Total = $50 per month.

2). 4 TVs (1 DVR) - 522/322 = $10 ($5 for VOD and $5 for 2nd receiver-322). Total = $50.

(I am under the impression ,there is no monthly charge for the 1st receiver.)

3)With dual tuner DVR (522) - the VOD function is available from only 1 TV. Right ?

Your are right re: the pricing as 3 and 4 TV's are the same price, however you will get the 522 and the 311, not the 301, $49.98. The DVR in the 522 will work for both TV's that are connected, yet there is only one VOD fee per month. You can actually schedule recording on TV1 to record the feed from TV2.

if I'm are an existing customer (DHP) and can get a 522 (e.g., from ebay), will I be able to get E* to activate it?

utexex79 said:
if I'm are an existing customer (DHP) and can get a 522 (e.g., from ebay), will I be able to get E* to activate it?
No. A few ebay 522 buyers did manage to get them activated before all the supervisors got the word from the top but that has been stopped.

As a current DHP customer you may now get a PVR721 on the DVR Upgrade Promo for $249. That's a good deal, especially because there are no "VOD" fees.

If you are patient, you can wait for the successor (which may be called the DVR722) which will be a 2-tuner 2-output DVR that is PIP (single mode) capable based on the 522 platform. It should be out by the end of summer and available to anyone on a purchase or upgrade basis.

Yu mean the 922 right? I have heard nothing of the 722 except what we have discussed as a replacement idea for the 721. As far as I have heard the 721/921 Linux based software is at an end. The 522/922 has a Linux /500 series hybrid software,( the best of both platforms), that is where they are heading for all the newer receivers.

JohnDoe#2 said:
No. A few ebay 522 buyers did manage to get them activated before all the supervisors got the word from the top but that has been stopped.
I may have talked to a csr who hadn't gotten the word yet... he put me on hold for a couple minutes to check then came back on & told me they would activate it on my account providing that it had a zero balance....

another case of csr roulette?

utexex79 said:
I may have talked to a csr who hadn't gotten the word yet... he put me on hold for a couple minutes to check then came back on & told me they would activate it on my account providing that it had a zero balance....
And how long ago was that, pray tell?